Job Title: Supervising Attorney or Supervising OLAP Representative
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: $77,000-$90,000 annually, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Survivors of Violence Unit
Reports to: Managing OLAP Accredited Representative
Job Summary: The Supervising Attorney or Supervising OLAP Representative will be responsible for supervising the day-to-day operations, personnel, and legal service provision at CARECEN’s central office and other offsite locations as needed. The Supervising Attorney or Supervising OLAP Representative will be part of the CARECEN’s Survivors of Violence Unit, which provides legal assistance to individuals who qualify for VAWA, U Visa, T visa and Adjustment of Status. The Supervising Attorney or Supervising OLAP Representative will work directly under the Managing Attorney and will assist the Managing Attorney in overseeing the department and other tasks as needed. The Supervising Attorney or Supervising OLAP Representative will also be responsible for outreach and community education activities, particularly focusing on building and maintaining relationships with CARECEN partners.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Supervise and direct legal staff on the Survivors of Violence Unit including assigning work, monitoring timesheets, caseloads, plan and conduct legal case review, as well as trainings and other professional development activities for staff, and handling the process of discipline and grievance adjustment;
- Conduct periodic written & performance evaluation for legal staff;
- Assist the Managing Attorney with the hiring of staff and the recruitment of legal volunteers.
- Oversee the day to day operations relating to the provision of services, produce reports on CARECEN’s output, assist with reporting, assist with developing proposals for service collaborations and addressing any important issues arising from the team;
- Provide individual consultations for VAWA, U Visa, T visa and Adjustment of Status cases, prepare cases, represent applicants before DHS in various matters, represent a limited number of individuals in Immigration Court and on appeal, if so licensed and as needed;
- Responsible for presentations, outreach and community education activities;
- Respond to media requests on relevant immigration issues;
- Participate in policy advocacy on immigration issues relevant to CARECEN’s mission;
- Develop and maintain relationships with local CBOs, law schools, foundations, government and other organizations;
- Facilitate team meetings as needed;
- Other duties as assigned by the Managing Attorney.
- Law degree and active admission to the bar of California or OLAP Accreditation;
- Excellent legal skills and broad knowledge of immigration law. 3-4 years of substantive immigration law experience strongly preferred;
- Bilingual fluency in spoken and written (English/Spanish) preferred;
- Experience supervising support staff;
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Commitment to working in a diverse working environment;
- Ability to develop and implement innovative models of service delivery with limited resources and leverage other community resources;
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse groups of individuals, including representatives of government, foundations, English/Spanish media, and other grassroots organizations;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently;
- Must have a car and driver license, and must be willing to travel to various off-site locations.
The normal workweek for this full-time exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, off-sites, libraries and other government facilities, among others. The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Candidates encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email cover letter, resume, shorting writing sample and at least three references to Albanydia Amezquita Verdugo at [email protected]. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.