Job Title: Supervising Attorney
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: $80,000 - $95,000, Depending on Experience
Department: Legal Department | Deportation Defense Unit
Reports to: Managing Attorney
Location: Hybrid- Telecommute and CARECEN’ s Los Angeles Office
Job Summary: The Supervising Attorney will supervise the day-to-day operations, personnel, and legal service provision at CARECEN’ s Los Angeles office in the Deportation Defense Unit. The Supervising Attorney will work under the direct supervision of DDU Managing Attorneys and in partnership with other DDU Supervising Attorneys.
Job Requirements/Essential Functions
* Supervise and direct DDU staff in the Los Angeles and San Bernardino offices, including assigning cases, monitoring timesheets, managing caseloads, planning and conducting legal case reviews, as well as organizing trainings and other professional development activities for staff, and handling the process of discipline and grievance adjustment
* Conduct trainings and facilitate ongoing legal education for the staff
* Conduct regular individual case reviews with staff
* Conduct periodic written & performance evaluations with staff
* Recruit, onboard, offboard, train, and provide annual evaluation to staff
* Provide individual consultations, prepare cases, and represent applicants before USCIS, the Immigration Court, the California State Court, and the BIA
* Manage own caseload of complex cases for ongoing legal development and review of staff complex cases
* Facilitate presentations, outreach, and community education activities
* Respond to media requests on relevant immigration issues
* Develop relationships with local CBOs, law schools, foundations, government and other organizations
* Participate in grant writing, including the planning of grant proposals, reviewing drafts by development staff, and conducting primary grant writing duties when necessary
* Monitor team goals and deliverables and facilitate reporting to various grants
* Participate in policy advocacy on immigration issues relevant to CARECEN’s mission, including conducting primary writing duties on policy pieces and public comments when necessary
* Facilitate and/ or conduct team meetings
* Facilitate legal staff meetings when the Managing Attorney and Legal Director are unavailable
* Conduct team bonding activities and plan retreats for ongoing staff support and team morale
* Other duties as assigned by the Managing Attorney
* Law degree and active admission to practice law in California
* Excellent legal skills and broad knowledge of immigration law
* 3-4 years of substantive immigration law experience (strongly preferred)
* 3-4 years of experience in removal defense, including detained and released removal defense (strongly preferred)
* Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English
* Experience supervising support staff
* Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
* Ability to work independently and collaboratively within the supervision team
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Ability to develop and implement innovative models of service delivery with limited resources and leverage other community resources
* Ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse groups of individuals, including representatives of government, foundations, English/Spanish media, and other grassroots organizations
* Commitment to working in a diverse working environment
* Demonstrated commitment to the mission and vision of CARECEN
The Supervising Attorney will directly supervise a team of attorneys, accredited representatives, paralegals, and other support staff, and will carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with CARECEN’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities will include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Classification and Work Schedule
The position is a full-time exempt position. Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday, with flexibility required based on the organization's needs. The normal work hours for this full-time exempt position are 35 hours per week, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. The position will involve some evening and weekend work. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This position is based in a professional office environment. It entails tasks such as lifting files, opening, filing cabinets and the flexibility to bend or stand when needed. A hybrid work model is offered, with duties performed in various work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, remote workspaces, workspaces and external locations like community libraries and other government facilities, among others.
This position is based out of CARECEN’s Los Angeles office and requires occasional travel to CARECEN’s San Bernardino office and Van Nuys office. The position also requires occasional travel to Immigration Courts in Adelanto, Los Angeles, Van Nuys, and Santa Ana, State Courts around the Southern California region, the Adelanto ICE Processing Center, and Desert View Annex. The position may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. The ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN offers a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email cover letter, resume, three references, and brief writing sample (maximum 10 pages) to Lilit Melkonyan at [email protected] . Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish fluency in resume or cover letter. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.