Job Title: Staff Attorney
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: Depending on Experience
Department: Legal Department | San Fernando Valley Unit
Reports to: Managing Attorney
Location: Telecommute currently offered with transition to in-person services at CARECEN San Fernando Valley office.
Job Summary: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) is seeking to hire a full-time, bilingual
(Spanish/English) immigration attorney in our Van Nuys office who will represent clients at USCIS, EOIR, and other forms of relief as needed. The Staff Attorney will work out of the San Fernando Valley Office and will work under the supervision of the Managing Attorney. The Staff Attorney will also be required to work at Off-Site locations in the greater Los Angeles area and provide legal services.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Conduct and review client intakes for immigration relief at CARECEN and other sites.
- Prepare a variety of immigration cases including representing applicants before USCIS and EOIR Immigration Court.
- Assign and review casework to legal support staff including legal assistants and administrative assistants.
- Conduct presentations, workshops and other community education activities, including at CARECEN and offsite locations, which may require periodic Saturday work.
- Other duties as assigned by Managing Attorney.
- Law degree and active bar admission (California preferred).
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish required.
- 2 years of substantive experience in immigration law. Experience in naturalization, DACA, VAWA/U visa/T visa, and family-based immigration preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of individuals, including representatives of government, Spanish and English media, grass-roots organizations, foundations, and other stakeholders.
- Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN.
- Must be willing to conduct community education and workshops around the greater Los Angeles Area if needed. The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
- Travel required; reliable transportation needed.
Classification & Work Schedule
The position is a full-time exempt position. Office hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday – Friday during which time staff is required to be available for clients, with flexibility required based on the needs of the organization. The normal workweek for this full-time exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. The position may require working evening and weekends. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute is currently offered, with transition to in person work at the CARECEN San Fernando Valley office. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by other nonprofits, libraries and government facilities, among others. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices and offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 25% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. The ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is necessary.
CARECEN offers a generous health insurance package that has medical, vision, dental, life insurance and Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
Candidates encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email a cover letter, resume and three references to Sheela Sood ([email protected]). Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish fluency in the cover letter. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.