Job Title: OLAP Accredited Representative or Staff Attorney
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | OLAP Accredited Representative- Non-Exempt; Full time | Staff Attorney- Exempt
Salary: OLAP Accredited Representative $21.00 per hour - Partially Accredited $24.00 per hour - Fully Accredited Staff Attorney- Depending on Experience
Department: Legal Department | San Fernando Valley Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorney and Legal Director
Location:50% telecommute and 50% in-person services at CARECEN San Fernando Valley office.
Job Summary: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) is seeking to hire a full-time, bilingual (Spanish/English) OLAP Accredited Representative or immigration attorney in our Van Nuys office. The OLAP Accredited Representative or Staff Attorney will provide legal consultation and representation services primarily in affirmative immigration cases including naturalization, family petitions, NACARA, TPS, DACA, adjustments of status, removal of conditions, green card renewals as well as other duties assigned. The OLAP Accredited Representative will not perform those legal services reserved under state law to members in good standing of the California State Bar. The staff member will work out of the San Fernando Valley Office and will work under the supervision of the Supervising Attorney and Legal Director. The staff member will also be required to work at Off-Site locations in the greater Los Angeles area and provide legal services.
For OLAP accredited representative, must be an OLAP accredited representative (or meet the criteria to submit an approvable application for OLAP accreditation at the time of hiring) and be determined by the Supervising Attorney and Legal Director, in their discretion, to have the requisite immigration knowledge and experience to regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of the duties described below.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Conduct and review client intakes for immigration relief at CARECEN and other sites.
- Prepare a variety of immigration cases including representing applicants before USCIS and EOIR Immigration Court (if accredited to do so).
- Assign and review casework to legal support staff including legal assistants and administrative assistants.
- Conduct presentations, workshops and other community education activities, including at CARECEN and offsite locations, which may require periodic Saturday work.
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervising Attorney.
- Staff Attorney: Law degree and active bar admission or law graduates awaiting admission (California preferred).
- OLAP Accredited Representative: Must be partially or fully OLAP Accredited Representative or meet the criteria to submit an approvable application for OLAP accreditation at the time of hiring.
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish required.
- 1-2 years of substantive experience in immigration law. Experience in naturalization, DACA, VAWA/U visa/T visa, and family-based immigration preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of individuals, including representatives of government, Spanish and English media, grass-roots organizations, foundations, and other stakeholders.
- Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN.
- Must be willing to conduct community education and workshops around the greater Los Angeles Area if needed. The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
- Travel required; reliable transportation needed.
Classification & Work Schedule
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is a 35-hour workweek equaling 7-hour workdays. Position may require evening and or weekend work, based on responsibilities. For OLAP: it is a full-time, non-exempt hourly position. For the Staff Attorney: it is a full-time, exempt salaried position. The normal office hours for exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. The position is currently 50% remote, 50% in
person at the CARECEN San Fernando Valley office. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by other nonprofits, libraries and government facilities, among others. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union. Travel RequirementsAbility to travel to different CARECEN offices and offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 25% of
travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. The ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is necessary.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices and offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 25% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. The ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is necessary. Benefits CARECEN offers a generous health insurance package that has medical, vision, dental, life insurance and Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
Candidates encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email a cover letter, resume and three references to Evelyn Martinez ([email protected]). Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish fluency in the cover letter. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook