Job Title: Staff Attorney or OLAP Accredited Representative
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Staff Attorney- Exempt
Full time | OLAP Accredited Representative - Non-Exempt;
Salary: Staff Attorney - $68,000- $76,000 DOE
OLAP Accredited Representative: $26-$35 per hour
Department: Legal Department | Survivors of Violence Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorney/Supervising OLAP and Managing OLAP Accredited Representative.
Location: Hybrid-Telecommute currently offered with transition to in-person services at CARECEN Los Angeles office
Job Summary: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks a bilingual Spanish-speaking Staff Attorney or OLAP Accredited Representative for its Survivors of Violence Unit. Law graduates awaiting bar results or bar admission will also be considered. The Staff Attorney or OLAP Accredited Representative will work out of the Los Angeles office and will work under the supervision of the Supervising Attorney or Supervising OLAP and Managing OLAP Accredited Representative from the Survivors of Violence Unit. For OLAP accredited representative, must be an OLAP accredited representative (or meet the criteria to submit an approvable application for OLAP accreditation at the time of hiring) and be determined by the Supervising Attorney, Managing OLAP Accredited Representative and Legal Director, in their discretion, to have the requisite immigration knowledge and experience to regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of the duties described below. The Staff Attorney or OLAP Accredited Representative will regularly provide legal consultation and representation services for VAWA, U Visa, T visa, Adjustment of Status cases and other immigration relief, as well as other duties assigned. The OLAP Accredited Representative will not perform those legal services reserved under state law to members in good standing of the California State Bar.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
• Prepare VAWA, U Visa, T visa, Adjustment of Status cases, I-929 petitions, consular processing, and employment authorization applications among others including representing applicants before USCIS
• Assist with conducting and reviewing client intakes for immigration relief.
• Assign and review casework to legal support staff including legal assistants and administrative assistants.
• Assist with supervising volunteer law student clinics on a rotating basis with other attorneys on the team, requiring periodic Saturday work during fall and spring semesters;
• Conduct presentations, workshops and other community education activities, including at offsite locations, which may require periodic Saturday work.
• Other duties as assigned by Supervising Attorney or Supervising OLAP and Managing Attorney
• Staff Attorney: Law degree and active bar admission or law graduates awaiting admission
• OLAP Accredited Representative: Must be partially or fully OLAP Accredited Representative or meet the criteria to submit an approvable application for OLAP accreditation at the time of hiring
• Fluency in spoken and written Spanish required
• 1-2 years of practical experience in immigration required. Experience in VAWA/U visa/T visa, and family-based immigration preferred
• Excellent legal skills and broad knowledge of immigration law
• Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment
• Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently
• Must be willing to conduct community education and workshops around Los Angeles County and Santa Ana if needed. The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
Classification & Work Schedule
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is a 35-hour workweek equaling 7-hour workdays. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute is currently offered, with transition to in person work at the CARECEN Los Angeles office. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by other nonprofits, libraries, and government facilities, among others. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices and offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 25% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. The ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN offers a generous health insurance package that has medical, vision, dental and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Candidates encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email a cover letter, resume and three references to Albanydia Amezquita Verdugo ([email protected]).Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish fluency in the cover letter. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal/staffing agencies.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook