Job Title: Staff Attorney or OLAP Accredited Representative
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Staff Attorney – Exempt
Full time | OLAP Accredited Representative - Non-Exempt;
Salary: Staff Attorney - Depending on Experience OLAP Accredited Representative $26-$35 per hour - Partially Accredited or Fully Accredited
Department: Legal Department | Citizenship & Family-Based Immigration Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorney and Managing Attorney
Location: CARECEN Los Angeles office
Job Summary: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks a bilingual Spanish-speaking Staff Attorney or OLAP Accredited Representative for its Citizenship & Family-Based Immigration Unit. The Staff Attorney or OLAP Accredited Representative will work out of the Los Angeles office and will work under the supervision of the Supervising Attorney and Managing Attorney from the Citizenship & Family-Based Immigration Unit. For OLAP accredited representative, must be an OLAP accredited representative (or meet the criteria to submit an approvable application for OLAP accreditation at the time of hiring) and be determined by the Supervising Attorney, Managing Attorney and Legal Director, in their discretion, to have the requisite immigration knowledge and experience to regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of the duties described below. Law graduates awaiting state bar results will be considered for the Staff Attorney position. The Staff Attorney or OLAP Accredited Representative will regularly provide legal consultation and representation services primarily in affirmative immigration cases including naturalization, family petitions, NACARA, TPS, DACA, adjustments, removal of conditions, green card renewals as well as other duties assigned. The OLAP Accredited Representative will not perform those legal services reserved under state law to members in good standing of the California State Bar.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Conduct and review client intakes for immigration relief for community members at CARECEN and other sites, as needed
- Prepare naturalization and citizenship derivation/acquisition cases, family petitions, NACARA, TPS, DACA, Adjustment of Status, removal of conditions, green card renewals, consular processing, and employment authorization applications, among others, including representing applicants before USCIS
- Assist with conducting and peer reviewing client intakes for immigration relief
- Assign and review casework to legal support staff including legal assistants and administrative assistants
- Assist with supervising volunteers and law students through workshops on a rotating basis with other attorneys on the team, requiring limited periodic Saturday work
- Conduct presentations, application workshops, and other community education activities, including at offsite locations, which may require periodic Saturday work
- Other duties as assigned by Supervising Attorney and Managing Attorney
- Staff Attorney: Law degree and active bar admission or law graduates awaiting admission
- OLAP Accredited Representative: Must be partially or fully OLAP Accredited Representative or meet the criteria to submit an approvable application for OLAP accreditation at the time of hiring
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish required
- 1-2 years of practical experience in immigration required. Experience in adjustments, family-based visas, TPS, and consular processing preferred
- Excellent legal skills and broad knowledge of immigration law
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently
- Must be willing to conduct community education and workshops around Los Angeles County if needed. The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
Classification & Work Schedule
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is a 35-hour workweek equaling 7-hour workdays. Position may require evening and/or weekend work, based on responsibilities. For OLAP: it is a full-time, non-exempt hourly position. For the Staff Attorney: it is a full-time, exempt salaried position. The normal office hours for exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis of hours is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position operates in a professional office environment with possible partial work from home flexibility. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by other nonprofits, libraries, and government facilities, among others. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices and offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 25% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. The ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN offers a generous health insurance package that has medical, vision, dental, life insurance and Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
November 14 , 2022 or until the position is filled. Candidates encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email a cover letter, resume and three references to Miriam Nunez ([email protected]). Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish fluency in the cover letter. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal/staffing agencies.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook