Job Title: Receptionist & Intake Screener
Classification & FLSA Status: Part-Time | Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $17.00 - $20.00 per hour
Department: Legal Department
Reports to: Supervising Attorney and Legal Director
Location: San Fernando Valley Office- 50% in office, 50% from home
Job Summary: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks to hire part-time, temporary, bilingual (English and Spanish) Legal Receptionist & Intake Screener (“Legal Receptionist”) to aid our San Fernando Valley office. This position serves as the public’s initial contact with CARECEN and as such, is pivotal to the formation of a positive first impression of the organization. The Legal Receptionist is responsible for pre-screening clients, booking appointments, answering telephone inquiries and making referrals for services not provided by CARECEN. The Legal Receptionist reports to the Supervising Attorney and Legal Director. This is Part-Time Position based out of CARECEN’s San Fernando Valley Office.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Greet visitors and provide general information on CARECEN’s services;
- Pre-screen potential clients by telephone and in person;
- Assist clients in completing intake forms and scheduling appointments when appropriate;
- Provide referrals for other social and legal service agencies as indicated by client needs;
- Providing cashier services which includes receiving documents and client fees in accordance with organizational policy;
- Contribute to the safety of the premises by ensuring that only authorized visitors or clients are allowed access to premises by confirming visitor appointments with staff members;
- Conduct ongoing data entry, compiling and maintaining Legal Department statistics on an as needed basis;
- Perform general clerical duties for the Legal Department on an as-needed basis; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervising Attorney and/or Legal Director.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, customer service skills with proven ability to interact in an appropriate manner with diverse groups of individuals, including clients, corporate, foundation representatives, government officials, and the media on a consistent basis;
- Ability to exercise tact, diplomacy, discretion, and appropriate measures of friendliness when greeting/directing clients, receiving sensitive information, and providing information, referrals, or other assistance, required;
- Good working knowledge of local nonprofits and their respective service areas –OR- the ability to quickly learn & understand availability of nonprofit services, required;
- Flexibility/adaptability and the ability to work productively in a periodically stressful environment required; ability to receive and process large numbers of clients preferred;
- Ability to work independently when needed and with creativity in problem solving situations strongly preferred;
Strong organization skills required;
Knowledge of history of Central American immigrant community, preferred.
Spoken and written fluency in English and Spanish languages required;
Basic Windows-based computer skills in word processing and court forms software strongly preferred. Experience using multi-line telephone equipment preferred;
High school degree or equivalency required; some college highly desirable.
Commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN.
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is up to 29-hours a week. This position will have hours scheduled during CARECEN work hours. There is a possibility of transitioning this position to full-time, depending on office needs. Primary work location is CARECEN’s San Fernando Valley office.
Ability to travel to CARECEN offices in Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
Part-Time-2 position is not eligible for health insurance benefits.
Internal deadline is April 15, 2022.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Evelyn Martinez at [email protected]. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.