Job Title: Policy Coordinator
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Salary: Depending on experience
Department: Organizing, Advocacy and Policy Department
Reports to: Policy Manager
Location: Telecommute currently offered with transition to CARECEN’s Los Angeles Office
CARECEN is in search of a creative and strategic public policy professional. This position will develop and lead policy and legislative efforts in the local and state-level areas of education equity, immigrant worker’s rights, immigrant rights. This role will lead CARECEN’s education equity policy efforts; with a priority focus on English learners and newcomer students’ support in the local and state education systems. The policy coordinator will also support polity efforts strengthening immigrant rights in California. The Policy Coordinator will work closely with the Organizing, Advocacy and Policy Department to further the organization's vision and mission. This is a full-time position based out of CARECEN’s Los Angeles Office with expected frequent travel to Sacramento and some local travel.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Continue the development of CARECEN’s local and state public policy agenda and presence in line with CARECEN’s mission
- Provide strategic guidance and develop legislative proposals to advance CARECEN’s goals and objectives
- Collaborate with the Policy Manager and Director of Organizing, Advocacy and Policy to coordinate the development and implementation of a local/state policy and advocacy agenda on priority issues for CARECEN with a focused lead on education equity policy efforts and strengthening immigrant rights
- Lead clearly defined policy projects within CARECEN’s local and state policy campaigns
- Monitor, interpret, and summarize local and state legislative proposals and policies, and regional trends that impact immigrants
- Assist in creating and implementing pro-immigrant policies in local/state legislative and budgetary processes
- Coordinate and maintain strategic working relationships and communication with local and state policymakers, officials, key agencies ( e.g LAUSD) and others
- Coordinate periodic local/state meetings and strategic engagements with legislators and officials and provide policy analysis to policymakers and their staff
- Serve as the primary local and state representative for communicating CARECEN’s policy position in City Council/County meetings, committee hearings, legislative meetings, coalition spaces and efforts
- Coordinate collaboration with immigrant rights networks and organizational partners to advance CARECEN’s local and state policy agenda
- Initiate and implement advocacy strategies (e.g lead organizational partners advocacy coalition spaces, legislative visits efforts, local town halls engagement, letters and call-in campaigns, etc.)
- Develop and maintain a local and state legislative interactions database, tracking systems, and advocacy program files
- Produce relevant educational materials including policy analysis reports, briefing documents, and fact sheets on local/state immigrant and immigration issues for different audiences (e.g internal for staff, community members, legislators) as needed
- Support CARECEN staff and community membership engagement in legislative processes and advocacy efforts (e.g legislative meetings, briefings, local/state hearings, press engagements, etc.) through training and workshops, leading working groups, providing political updates
- Support writing policy statements, advocacy digital toolkits, talking points, sample letters, and other material to advance the CARECEN’s policy and advocacy agenda, inform the community of policy updates, and encourage community engagement
- Represent CARECEN in local/state political engagements, media involvement and other organizational efforts as needed
- Coordinate with external consultants as needed
- Support the Organizing, Advocacy and Policy Department in other efforts as needed
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree in political science, public policy or a related field
- At least 2 years of experience in local/state public policy and the legislative field required
- Experience working with directly impacted immigrant and refugee communities
- Experience developing policy proposals and implementing advocacy strategies for campaigns
- Comfortable and experienced in fast-paced environment and handling multiple deadlines
- Strong research and writing skills to be able to learn, research, and communicate complex policy issue areas in a fast-paced environment
- Must have the ability to plan, organize, and exercise good judgment with limited supervision to implement CARECEN’s policy plan
- Bilingual and fluent (speaking and writing) in English and Spanish
- Deep understanding of the current immigration political landscape - local, state, national
Ability to travel to CARECEN offices, other off-site locations, and Sacramento. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
Classification & Work Schedule
The position is a full time hourly position. Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is a 35-hour workweek; 7-hour workdays. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The position operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, bend and or stand as necessary. Telecommute is currently offered, with transition to in person work at the CARECEN Los Angeles office. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others. The position may involve some evening and weekend work.
CARECEN offers a generous health insurance package that has medical, vision, dental, life insurance and Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
Candidates encouraged to apply immediately
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Alexandra Morales at [email protected]. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.