Job Title: Paralegal and Administrative Assistant
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $20.00 - $23.00 hourly, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Naturalization and Family-Based
Reports to: Supervising Attorney & Managing Attorney
Location: Telecommute currently offered with transition to in-person services at CARECEN Los Angeles office.
The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks a bilingual (Spanish/English) Paralegal and Administrative Assistant. The Paralegal and Administrative Assistant is responsible for assisting Attorneys/Accredited Representatives in providing legal services as well as providing administrative support for the team’s services. The position is divided by estimated 50% of work performed as a Paralegal, and 50% on administrative assistance. The position is housed within CARECEN’s Naturalization and Family-Based immigration team in Los Angeles.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- As Paralegal:
- Assist in completing applications for submission to USCIS under attorney or OLAP Accredited Rep review.
- Conduct intake screening for clients seeking legal consultation, preparing immigration forms, and translating documents in Spanish and English, and advocating for clients with government agencies.
- Assist clients in preparing for their immigration exams and interviews.
- Assist with the completion of applications, including N-400 Naturalization, N-600 Derivation/Acquisition, Fee Waivers, I-90 Renewal of Lawful Permanent Resident cards, FBI requests, FOIA, among others.
- Assist clients in gathering supporting documents and preparing legal filings.
- Assist with client follow up and providing clients information and documents related to their cases.
- Perform document translation, and interpret at interviews before USCIS, as needed.
- Assist in application workshops including conducting registration, intake and form preparation, on as needed basis.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- As Administrative Assistant:
- Administrative duties in support of team’s services as assigned by Managing and Supervising Attorney. May also include administrative duties in support of our citizenship class services.
- Assisting with filing and tracking immigration notices and processing times.
- Assist with organization and maintenance of online shared data systems and drives.
- Maintaining, updating, and improving team administrative procedures.
- Assisting clients to obtain intake documents as assigned by Managing and Supervising Attorney.
- Assisting with coverage of hotline and mail processing, on a as needed basis.
- Assist with grant reporting, on as needed basis.
- Provide administrative and technological assistance for citizenship instruction, on a as needed basis.
- Assist clients in mock citizenship exams and training of class volunteers, on a as needed basis.
- Help coordinate team bonding activities and retreat for ongoing staff support and team morale.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Experience in immigration law (preferred)
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages required
- Excellent communication, interviewing, and writing skills required
- Cultural or trauma-informed sensitivity and desire to work with immigrant families
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills strongly preferred
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Effectively with diverse groups of clients and volunteers
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is a 35-hour workweek equaling 7-hour workdays. The position may require some work on Saturday depending on workshop schedules. Flexible work from home schedule may be offered. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Flexible work from home schedule may be offered. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including a hybrid office and work from home model depending on COVID-19 office policy, CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others including community libraries and other government facilities, among others. The position is part of the bargaining unit part of the Union.
Ability to travel to CARECEN offices, and other off-site locations. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, life insurance and Flexible Spending. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
Deadline August 29, 2022. Candidates are encouraged to apply ASAP.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Miriam Nunez, [email protected]. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Only those applicants who submit a complete application per these instructions will be considered. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.