Job Title: Paralegal
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $20.00 - $24.00 hourly, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Survivors of Violence Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorney/OLAP & Managing Attorney
Location: Telecommute currently offered, with transition to CARECEN’s Los Angeles office.
The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) is seeking to hire one full-time, bilingual paralegal to provide legal services within CARECEN’s Survivors of Violence Unit in the CARECEN Los Angeles Office.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Assist in conducting intakes for potential clients as
- Assist in completing applications for submission to USCIS including U/T Visas, VAWA, Adjustment of Status, I-929 petitions, consular processing, and employment authorization applications among
- Assist clients in gathering supporting documents and preparing legal
- Assist with client background checks as needed and other records requests including
- Provide clients with case updates.
- Provide reception services as
- Perform general clerical duties for the legal department on an as needed
- Assist clients in accessing services, including mental health and medical
- Translate documents from Spanish-to-English (and vice versa).
- Interpret at interviews before USCIS as
- Assist in other administrative
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or managing
- Experience in immigration law (preferred)
- Knowledge and Experience in VAWA and U visa or experience working with survivors of violence (preferred)
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages required
- Excellent communication, interviewing, and writing skills required
- Sensitivity and desire to work with immigrant families including survivors of violence required
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills strongly preferred
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of clients and volunteers
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is a 35-hour workweek equaling 7-hour workdays. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute is currently offered, with transition to in person work at the CARECEN Los Angeles office. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by other nonprofits, libraries and government facilities, among others. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Ability to travel to CARECEN offices, and other off-site locations. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, life insurance and Flexible Spending . Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
Candidates encouraged to apply immediately
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Gloria Martinez at [email protected]. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook