Job Title: Law Grad/Staff Attorney
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Law Graduate - Non-Exempt;
Full time | Staff Attorney - Exempt
Salary: $25.00-$30.00 hourly (Law Grad) Depending on Experience;
$68,000-$76,000 (Staff Attorney) Depending on Experience
Department: Legal Department | San Fernando Valley Unit
Reports to: Managing Attorney and Legal Director
Location: 50% telecommute and 50% in-person services at CARECEN San Fernando Valley office.
Job Summary: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) is seeking to hire a full-time, bilingual (Spanish/English) staff attorney/law graduate awaiting July 2023 California State Bar Examination results. The staff member will provide legal consultation and representation services primarily in affirmative immigration cases including naturalization, family petitions, NACARA, TPS, DACA, adjustments of status, removal of conditions, green card renewals as well as other duties assigned. The law graduate will not perform those legal services reserved under state law to members in good standing of the California State Bar. The staff member will work out of the San Fernando Valley Office and will work under the supervision of the Managing Attorney and Legal Director. The staff member will also be required to work at Off-Site locations in the greater Los Angeles area and provide legal services.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
• Conduct and review client intakes for immigration relief at CARECEN and other sites.
• Prepare a variety of immigration cases including representing applicants before USCIS and EOIR Immigration Court (if accredited to do so).
• Assign and review casework to legal support staff including legal assistants and administrative assistants.
• Conduct presentations, workshops, and other community education activities, including at CARECEN and offsite locations, which may require periodic Saturday work.
• Other duties as assigned by the Managing Attorney.
• Staff Attorney: Law degree and active bar admission (California preferred) or law graduates awaiting July 2023 California State Bar Examination results.
• Fluency in spoken and written Spanish required.
• 1-2 years of substantive experience in immigration law. Experience in naturalization, DACA, VAWA/U visa/T visa, and family-based immigration preferred.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently.
• Ability to work with diverse groups of individuals, including representatives of government, Spanish and English media, grass-roots organizations, foundations, and other stakeholders.
• Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment.
• Demonstrated commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN.
• Must be willing to conduct community education and workshops around the greater Los Angeles Area if needed. The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
• Travel required; reliable transportation needed.
Classification & Work Schedule
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is a 35-hour workweek equaling 7-hour workdays. Position may require evening and or weekend work, based on responsibilities. For law graduate: it is a full-time, non-exempt hourly position. For the staff attorney: it is a full-time, exempt salaried position. The normal office hours for exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. The position is currently 50% remote, 50% in person at the CARECEN San Fernando Valley office. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by other nonprofits, libraries, and government facilities, among others. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices and offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 25% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. The ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is necessary.
CARECEN offers a generous health insurance package that has medical, vision, dental, life insurance and Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
Candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email a cover letter, resume and three references to Evelyn Martinez ([email protected]). Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish fluency in the cover letter. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.