Job Title: Data Management Assistant
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Salary:16.50 – $18.50, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Deportation Defense Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorney(s)
Location: Telecommute currently offered with transition to in-person services at CARECEN Los Angeles office
Job Summary: The Data Management Assistant supports attorneys and legal assistants in the Deportation Defense Unit (DDU), representing unaccompanied children and adults in removal proceedings.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Maintain records, timely record and report case updates, manage intakes and waitlists.
- Record all data necessary to comply with reporting requirements. Compile and submit timely reports to DDU funders.
- Make and track referrals to and from other legal, social, medical, and mental health service providers.
- Coordinate new client intakes, collect initial client documents and contact information.
- Initiate and close cases, and update attorneys’ case-tracking sheets to reflect any changes.
- Update the team calendar on Microsoft Outlook.
- Regularly process mail for DDU staff.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervising Attorney, which may include general administrative duties (copying, mailing, phone calls, etc.), and providing reception coverage.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellent communication, interviewing, and writing skills required.
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages required.
- Self-confidence, ability to interact with government agencies and advocate on behalf of clients.
- Sensitivity and desire to work with low-income, immigrant families.
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills strongly preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of clients and volunteers.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN.
- Demonstrated willingness to work under minimal supervision.
Classification & Work Schedule
The position is a full-time non-exempt (hourly) position. The normal workweek for this full-time non-exempt (hourly) position is 35 hours. The office hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm; Monday to Friday. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute is currently offered, with transition to in person work at the CARECEN Los Angeles office. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by other nonprofits, libraries, and government facilities, among others.
CARECEN offers a generous health insurance package that has medical, vision, dental, life insurance and Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
Applicants encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Lilit Melkonyan at [email protected] Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.