Job Title: Staff Attorney
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: $68,000-$76,000, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | College Legal Services
Reports to: Supervising Attorneys & Managing Attorney
Location: Hybrid – Remote and In-Person Orange County Campuses
Job Summary: The Staff Attorney will provide legal services at California State Universities and/or community colleges, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations in the greater Los Angeles and Orange County area.
Job Requirements/Essential Functions
- Conduct and review client intakes for immigration relief at California State Universities and/or community colleges and as-needed at CARECEN and other sites.
- Prepare a variety of immigration cases including representing applicants before USCIS and EOIR Immigration
- Assign and review casework to legal support staff including paralegals and administrative
- Conduct presentations, workshops and other community education activities, including at California State Universities and/or community colleges and offsite locations.
- Other duties as assigned by
- Law degree and active bar (California preferred)
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- 2 years of substantive experience in immigration law preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently
- Must be willing to conduct community education and workshops
- The position will involve some evening and weekend work
Classification and Work Schedule
The position is a full-time exempt position. Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday, with flexibility required based on the needs of the organization. The normal workweek for this full-time exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift
files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others (including California State Universities and/or community colleges), libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to different California State Universities and/or community colleges, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Please email cover letter, resume, at least three references to [email protected]. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.