CARECEN is only as strong as its foundation, and volunteers are an integral part of that foundation. Volunteers like you allow CARECEN to dramatically expand our services to help more people in our communities. Through your work with us, you also take part in CARECEN's efforts to change immigration and education policies, empower our communities, provide quality low-cost immigration legal services, and bring on lasting social change for all. It is because of our volunteers that we continue to grow. Please keep in mind that our regular office hours are Monday through Friday 9 am - 5 pm. You must also fill out a Volunteer Application in order to apply for any volunteer position. There are a few opportunities that will be available on Saturday.
- College Head Start Volunteers: We need undergraduate Volunteers on Saturdays from 10 am to 1 pm. They will be helping high school senior’s proofread their personal statements and review college applications. We will also need Volunteers for the month of November when we will be doing providing the same services during, "Success Week", November 21-25, Mon-Sat 10am to 10pm. As the date approaches, shifts will be available during “Success Week”. You must commit to a minimum of two months. Please email your resume and completed Volunteer Application to volunteer@CARECEN-LA.ORG. Include "College Head Start Volunteer" in the subject. (2 Positions Available)
- Fundraising Volunteers: help CARECEN development staff find funding opportunities to finance CARECEN programs. (Closed)
- English Instructors: There is a great need for an English Class Instructor for our main office. This would be an internship position with at least 4 months commitment. The hours must be between 9 am-5 pm and Monday through Friday. Please email your resume, put English Class Instructor in the subject and send your availability to volunteer@CARECEN-LA.ORG. (Open)
- Volunteer Translator: We need volunteers to translate materials including flyers, Power Point, website, research materials and more. For those who have more experience translating there is the opportunity to assist in translating in asylum interviews at the Los Angeles Asylum Office located in Anaheim with clients. Please email your resume and completed Volunteer Application to volunteer@CARECEN-LA.ORG and include "Volunteer Translator" in the subject. (Open)
- Legal Volunteers: Conduct legal screenings (must speak Spanish) with possible CARECEN client, including unaccompanied minors and possible applicants for President Obama's executive action programs (known as DACA and DAPA). They also do research and support casework under an attorney's supervision. They gain a working knowledge of how to defend a deportation case, build client interviewing skills, and provide an invaluable service to CARECEN and its clients. Please email your resume, cover letter and completed Volunteer Application to volunteer@CARECEN-LA.ORG and include "Legal Volunteers" in the subject. (Open)
Citizenship Class Tutor: We are seeking volunteers who are interested in helping adult students to achieve their dream of becoming US citizens. This volunteer will work one-on-one with students simulating the naturalization interview and helping them to develop their reading and writing skills. In addition, volunteers might be asked to collect records of students and their attendance.
As a Citizenship Tutor you can attend any of the following classes:
Location Day Time
2845 W. 7th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90005
Tuesday 5:00 pm - 8:30 pm Saturday 8:00 am - 11:30 am Saturday 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Junipero Serra Library
4607 S Main St.
Los Angeles, CA 90037
Saturday 9:00 am - 12:30pm
Mid Valley Regional Library
16244 Nordhoff St.
North Hills, CA 91343
Tuesday 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Van Nuys Public Library
6250 Sylmar Ave.
Van Nuys CA 91401
Saturday 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
10754 Laurel Ave
Whittier CA 90605
Tuesday 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
If you are interested in any of these volunteering categories, please fill out and submit the form below, checking the appropriate boxes and providing the times and days when you are available. If you have one, please e-mail a resume, along with a cover letter, to volunteer@CARECEN-LA.ORG. If you have any additional questions, please contact Jennifer Marin at JMarin@CARECEN-LA.ORG or 213-385-7800 ext 181.
Internships and Fellowships
CARECEN maintains relationships with public and private universities and other academic institutions in California and across the U.S.-Mexico border. Through these relationships, CARECEN provides internships and fellowships that allow students majoring in political science, anthropology, sociology, law, communications, and other disciplines to gain work experience in the social justice arena.
While volunteers may commit to up to 10 hours per week, internships and fellowships imply a more serious time commitment. Internships may require 10-15 hours per week, while fellowships require 15-20 hours. Some of the positions in the legal, education and research categories may be structured as internships, and positions are subject to availability.
If you are interested in an internship, please note that in the form below. Internships require a resume and cover letter, emailed to volunteer@CARECEN-LA.ORG.
We conduct regular training sessions for those who want to volunteer at CARECEN, with basic orientation and sign-ups for tasks, jobs, and events. The training sessions usually take place at CARECEN, and you will be notified of the next session if you sign up. Join us to make a difference!
Click the Following link to RSVP: