Job Title: Staff Attorney
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: Depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Survivors of Violence Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorney & Managing Attorney
Location: Telecommute currently offered, with transition to Los Angeles office.
Job Summary: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks a bilingual Spanish-speaking Staff Attorney for its Survivors of Violence Unit. The attorney will be part of the Survivors of Violence Unit and provide legal assistance to individuals who qualify for VAWA, U Visa, T visa and Adjustment of Status. This is a full-time position based out of CARECEN’s Los Angeles Office.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Prepare VAWA, U Visa, T visa and Adjustment of Status cases including representing applicants before USCIS and EOIR Immigration Court if needed;
- Assist with conducting and reviewing client intakes for immigration relief.
- Assign and review casework to legal support staff including legal assistants and administrative assistants.
- Assist with supervising volunteer law student clinics on a rotating basis with other attorneys on the team, requiring periodic Saturday work during fall and spring semesters;
- Conduct presentations, workshops and other community education activities, including at offsite locations, which may require periodic Saturday work.
- Other duties as assigned by Managing Attorney
- Law degree and active bar admission
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish required
- 2 years of substantive experience in immigration law. Experience in VAWA/U visa/T visa, and family-based immigration preferred
- Excellent legal skills and broad knowledge of immigration law
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently
- Must be willing to conduct community education and workshops around Los Angeles County and Santa Ana if needed. The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
Classification & Work Schedule
The position is a full-time exempt position. Office hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday – Friday during which time staff is required to be available for clients, with flexibility required based on the needs of the organization. The normal workweek for this full-time exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. The position may require working evening and weekends. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute currently offered, with transition to CARECEN offices. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 25% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN offers a generous health insurance package that has medical, vision, dental, life insurance and Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
Applicants encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample (10-page maximum) and three references to Gloria Martinez at [email protected]. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws