Job Title: Intake Coordinator
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Pay: $15.00 - $19.00 hourly, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Survivors of Violence Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorney & Managing Attorney
Location: CARECEN Los Angeles Office
Job Summary: CARECEN seeks a Spanish-speaking Intake Coordinator to assist clients who may qualify for VAWA, U and T Visa petitions. The Intake Coordinator may assist in outreach activities and community education activities.
- Coordinate intake appointments for survivors of violence seeking legal services.
- Assist potential clients in advocacy with law enforcement agencies to obtain police reports, law enforcement certification or case information.
- Manage and coordinate U visa/T visa/VAWA referrals from local domestic violence shelters and referrals from other agencies.
- Manage and coordinate U visa/T visa/VAWA referrals from other legal departments within CARECEN.
- Under the supervision of attorneys or accredited representatives, Intake Coordinator may assist limited number of clients to prepare U Visa/T Visa/VAWA petitions and adjustment of status applications related to these forms of relief, draft client declarations, renewals of work permits and provide follow up on cases.
- Provide reception services as needed.
- Perform general clerical duties for the legal department on an as needed basis.
- Assist clients in accessing services, including mental health and medical services.
- Translate documents from Spanish-to-English (and vice versa).
- Interpret at interviews before USCIS as needed.
- Assist in other administrative matters.
- Assist in Know Your Rights community presentations.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or managing attorney.
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages required.
- Excellent communication, interviewing, writing skills required.
- Self-confidence, ability to interact with law enforcement agencies and advocate on behalf of client's interests required.
- Sensitivity and desire to work with low-income, immigrant victims of crime including domestic violence required.
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills strongly preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of clients and volunteers.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN
- Knowledge and Experience in VAWA/U/T visa preferred.
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is a 35-hour workweek equaling 7-hour workdays. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to CARECEN offices, and other off-site locations. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Application Deadline: Applicants encouraged to apply immediately
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Gloria Martinez [email protected]. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.