Job Title: Supervising Attorney or OLAP Representative
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: Based on experience
Department: Legal Department | DACA Advocacy & Offsite Immigration Services
Reports to: Managing OLAP Accredited Representative & Legal Director
Location: Telecommute currently offered with transition to CARECEN Los Angeles office.
Job Summary: The Supervising Attorney or OLAP Representative will be responsible for supervising the day-to-day operations, personnel, and legal service provision at CARECEN’s central office, offsite locations and other locations as needed. The Supervising Attorney or OLAP Representative works directly under the Managing OLAP rep and or Legal Director and will assist the Managing OLAP rep in overseeing the department and other tasks as needed. The Supervising Attorney or OLAP Representative is also responsible for outreach and community education activities, particularly focusing on building and maintaining relationships with CARECEN’s offsite partners and overseeing the work performed at these offsite locations.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Supervise and direct legal staff on DACA and offsite work, including assigning work, monitoring timesheets, caseloads, plan and conduct legal case review, as well as trainings and other professional development activities for staff, and handling the process of discipline and grievance adjustment;
- Responsible for maintaining relationships with offsite partners and assisting in reporting, developing proposals for service collaborations and addressing any important issues arising from CARECEN’s offsite collaborations;
- Oversee the day to day operations relating to the provision of DACA services, maintain the calendar/booking website with staff availability, review DACA case work and produce reports on CARECEN’s output;
- Conduct periodic written & performance evaluation for legal staff;
- Provide individual consultations, prepare cases, represent applicants before DHS in various matters, represent a limited number of individuals in Immigration Court and on appeal, if so licensed;
- Responsible for presentations, outreach and community education activities;
- Respond to media requests on relevant immigration issues;
- Participate in policy advocacy on immigration issues relevant to CARECEN’s mission;
- Develop and maintain relationships with local CBOs, law schools, foundations, government and other organizations;
- Facilitate team meetings and occasionally legal meetings when Managing O or Legal Director is unavailable;
- Other duties as assigned by the Managing OLAP rep or Legal Director.
- Law degree and active admission to the bar of California or OLAP Accreditation;
- Excellent legal skills and broad knowledge of immigration law. 3-4 years of substantive immigration law experience strongly preferred;
- Bilingual fluency in spoken and written (English/Spanish) preferred;
- Experience supervising support staff;
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Commitment to working in a diverse working environment;
- Ability to develop and implement innovative models of service delivery with limited resources and leverage other community resources;
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse groups of individuals, including representatives of government, foundations, English/Spanish media, and other grassroots organizations;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently;
- Must have a car and driver license, and must be willing to travel to various off-site locations.
The normal workweek for this full-time exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, off-sites, libraries and other government facilities, among others. The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Please email cover letter, resume, and at least three references to Marlon Fuentes at [email protected]. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.