Job Title: Supervising Attorney or OLAP Representative
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: Based on experience
Department: Legal Department | College Legal Services, CSU Project
Reports to: Managing Attorney & Legal Director
Location: Telecommute currently offered with transition to CARECEN Los Angeles office or CSU campus.
Job Summary: The Supervising Attorney or OLAP Representative will be responsible for supervising the day-to-day operations, personnel, and legal service provision at colleges and universities, CARECEN offices, and other locations as needed. The Supervising Attorney or OLAP Representative works directly under the Managing Attorney and or Legal Director and will assist the Managing Attorney in overseeing the department and other tasks as needed. The Supervising Attorney or OLAP Representative is also responsible for outreach and community education activities, particularly focusing on building and maintaining relationships with California State Universities and other partners and overseeing the work performed at these locations.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Supervise and direct legal staff on affirmative relief, including naturalization, family-based immigration cases, DACA, as well as other immigration cases;
- Assign work, monitor timesheets, caseloads, plan and conduct legal case review, as well as trainings and other professional development activities for staff, and handling the process of discipline and grievance adjustment;
- Responsible for maintaining relationships with college partners and assisting in reporting, developing proposals for service collaborations and addressing any important issues arising from CARECEN’s offsite collaborations;
- Oversee the day to day operations relating to the provision of services to students, staff, faculty and family members of California State Universities;
- Review affirmative case work and produce reports on CARECEN’s output;
- Conduct periodic written & performance evaluation for legal staff;
- Provide individual consultations, prepare cases, represent applicants before DHS in various matters, represent a limited number of individuals in Immigration Court and on appeal, if so licensed;
- Recruit, hire and evaluate team staff;
- Responsible for presentations, outreach and community education activities;
- Respond to media requests on relevant immigration issues;
- Participate in policy advocacy on immigration issues relevant to CARECEN’s mission;
- Develop and maintain relationships with local colleges and universities, CBOs, law schools, foundations, government and other organizations;
- Facilitate team meetings and occasionally legal meetings when Managing Attorney or Legal Director is unavailable;
- Other duties as assigned by the Managing Attorney or Legal Director.
- Law degree and active admission to the bar of California or OLAP Accreditation required;
- Excellent legal skills and broad knowledge of immigration law. 3-4 years of substantive immigration law experience strongly preferred;
- Bilingual fluency in spoken and written (English/Spanish) preferred;
- Experience supervising support staff preferred;
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Capability to work independently;
- Commitment to working in a diverse working environment;
- Ability to develop and implement innovative models of service delivery with limited resources and leverage other community resources;
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse groups of individuals, including representatives of government, foundations, English/Spanish media, and other grassroots organizations;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently;
- Must have a car and driver license, and must be willing to travel to various off-site locations.
- The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
The Supervising Attorney directly supervises a team of attorneys, accredited representatives, legal assistants, and support staff and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the employer’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute currently offered, with transition to CARECEN offices or a California State University. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including working from home model during COVID-19 office policy, colleges and universities, CARECEN’s offices, and workspace provided by others.
Classification & Work Schedule
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday during which time staff is required to be available for clients, additional work hours are required based on the needs of the organization. This is a full-time, exempt position. The normal office hours for this position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis of hours is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. Responsibilities may be require working evenings and some weekends. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position.
Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, colleges and universities, workspace provided by others, off-sites, libraries and other government facilities, among others. The position will involve some evening and weekend work. The position also requires occasional travel to Immigration Courts in Adelanto, Los Angeles, and Van Nuys, State Courts around the Southern California area, and the Adelanto Detention Center. The position may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is required.
A comprehensive benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, life insurance and FSA and Dependent Care FSA, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, and AFLAC supplemental insurance.
Candidates encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email cover letter, resume, at least three references to Marlon Fuentes at MFuentes@carecen-la.org. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.