Job Title: Supervising Attorney
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: Depending on experience and qualifications
Department: Legal Department | Citizenship & Family Based Unit
Reports to: Managing Attorney
Job Summary: The Supervising Attorney will be responsible for supervising the day-to-day operations, personnel, and legal service provision at CARECEN’s central office (Los Angeles) in the Citizenship & Family Based Unit. The Supervising Attorney works directly under the Managing Attorney and will assist the Managing Attorney in overseeing the department, citizenship classes, and other tasks as needed. The Supervising Attorney is also responsible for outreach and community education activities as well as supporting CARECEN’s policy advocacy efforts.
Job Requirements/Essential Functions
- Supervise and direct legal staff, including assigning work, monitoring timesheets, caseloads, plan and conduct legal case review, as well as trainings and other professional development activities for staff, and handling the process of discipline and grievance adjustment;
- Conduct trainings and facilitate ongoing legal education for team;
- Conduct regular individual case review with legal staff;
- Conduct periodic written & performance evaluation for legal staff;
- Recruit, hire and evaluate team staff;
- Provide individual consultations, prepare cases, represent applicants before DHS, in Immigration Court and on appeal;
- Manage own caseload of complex cases for ongoing legal development and review of staff complex cases;
- Responsible for presentations, outreach and community education activities;
- Respond to media requests on relevant immigration issues;
- Responsible for the coordination and supervision of citizenship workshops;
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator in CARECEN’s volunteer program with support of the Managing Attorney to find and onboard volunteers for CARECEN staff support and classroom support
- Develop relationships with local CBOs, law schools, foundations, government and other organizations;
- Participate in grant writing, including the planning of grant proposals, reviewing drafts by development staff, and conducting primary grant writing duties when necessary;
- Monitor team goals and deliverables and facilitate reporting to various grants
- Participate in policy advocacy on immigration issues relevant to CARECEN’s mission, including conducting primary writing duties on policy pieces and public comments when necessary;
- Facilitate team meetings, and conduct team meetings when Managing Attorney is unavailable;
- Facilitate legal meetings when Managing Attorney or Legal Director is unavailable;
- Conduct team bonding activities and retreat for ongoing staff support and team morale
- Other duties as assigned by the Managing Attorney or Legal Director.
- Law degree and active admission to the bar of California;
- Excellent legal skills and broad knowledge of immigration law. 3-4 years of substantive immigration law experience strongly preferred;
- 3-4 years of experience in Family Based immigration and practicing in Immigration Court strongly preferred;
- Bilingual fluency in spoken and written (English/Spanish) strongly preferred;
- Experience supervising support staff;
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills required;
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Commitment to working in a diverse working environment;
- Ability to develop and implement innovative models of service delivery with limited resources and leverage other community resources;
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse groups of individuals, including representatives of government, foundations, English/Spanish media, and other grassroots organizations;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently;
- The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
The Supervising Attorney directly supervises a team of attorneys, accredited representatives, legal assistants, and support staff and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the employer’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute currently offered, with transition to CARECEN offices. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including working from home model during COVID-19 office policy, CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others including community libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Classification & Work Schedule
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday during which time staff is required to be available for clients, with flexibility required based on the needs of the organization. This is a full-time, exempt position. The normal workweek for this position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. Responsibilities may be require working some weekends. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
A comprehensive benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, life insurance and FSA and Dependent Care FSA, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, and AFLAC supplemental insurance.
Please email cover letter, resume, at least three references, and brief writing sample (10 page maximum) to Marlon Fuentes, mfuentes @ carecen-la.org. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish fluency in the cover letter. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,629.00 - $185,302.00 per year