Job Title: Staff Attorney
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: $60,000 + Depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Deportation Defense Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorney
Location: Telecommute currently offered with transition to CARECEN’s San Bernardino Office
Job Summary: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks a bilingual staff attorney to represent adults (detained and non-detained) in removal proceedings. This is a full-time position based out of CARECEN’s San Bernardino Office.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Represents detained and non-detained adults in removal proceedings. This includes representation before the Adelanto and Los Angeles Immigration Courts, before USCIS, and before the Board of Immigration Appeals.
- Work under the supervision of supervising attorneys, handling all aspects of clients’ cases.
- Assist in coordinating referrals for medical, mental health, and educational services for clients, as necessary.
- Responsible for complying with data and program reporting requirements and supervising legal assistants and their assignments.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervising Attorney.
- Juris Doctor degree with active bar membership (California required)
- Fluency or high proficiency in Spanish (testing administered)
- Experience in immigration law
- Strong case management, legal research, and writing skills
- Ability to manage time-intensive caseload with numerous deadlines
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently
- Competence in and dedication to working with others of diverse cultural, geographic, and economic backgrounds, including clients with a history of severe trauma and criminal records
- Commitment to immigrants’ rights and the mission of CARECEN
- Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment
- Ability to drive with a valid CA license and registered vehicle is required
- The position will involve some evening and weekend work
Classification and Work Schedule
The position is a full-time exempt position. Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday, with flexibility required based on the needs of the organization. The normal workweek for this full-time exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. The position will involve some evening and weekend work. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filling cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute currently offered, with transition to CARECEN offices. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others. Due to the COVID -19 pandemic, work is currently being performed remotely with limited access to the CARECEN San Bernardino Office. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is required.
CARECEN offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, life insurance and Flexible Spending. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
Candidates encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email cover letter, resume, three references, and brief writing sample (maximum 10 pages) to Ruth Calvillo ([email protected]). Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish fluency in the cover letter. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Principals only; no search firms or legal recruiters (no exceptions). No inquiries.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.