Job Title: Staff Attorney
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: Depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Deportation Defense Unit, Children’s Team
Reports to: Managing Attorney
Location: Telecommute currently offered, with transition to Los Angeles office.
Job Summary: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks a bilingual staff attorney to represent unaccompanied children in removal proceedings. This is a full-time position based out of CARECEN’s Los Angeles Office.
· Represents unaccompanied minors in removal proceedings before the Los Angeles Immigration Court.
· Representing children in state court to obtain predicate orders related to Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, as well as representation in Immigration Court and before USCIS.
· Work under the supervision of a managing and supervising attorney, handling all aspects of client’s cases, including appeals to the Board of Immigration Appeals if necessary.
· Assist in coordinating referrals for medical, mental health or educational services for clients, as necessary.
· Responsible for complying with data and program reporting requirements and supervising legal assistants and their assignments.
· Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
· Juris Doctor Degree with active bar membership (California preferred)
· Fluency or high proficiency in Spanish (testing administered)
· Strong case management, legal research, writing, and oral communication skills
· 2 years of substantive experience in immigration law preferred
· Ability to manage time-intensive caseload with numerous deadlines
· Competence in and dedication to working with others of diverse cultural, geographic, and economic backgrounds, including children with a history of severe trauma
· Commitment to immigrants’ rights and the mission of CARECEN
· Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment
The normal workweek for this full-time exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including
CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license in addition, a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Application Deadline: Applicants encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email a cover letter, resume, three references, and brief writing sample (maximum 10 pages) to Camila Alvarez Calvarez@carecen-la.org. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.