Job Summary: The Staff Attorney will provide legal services at colleges and universities, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations in the greater Los Angeles and Orange County area.
Job Title: Staff Attorney
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: Depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | California State University Project
Reports to: Supervising Attorney(s) & Managing Attorney
Location: Telecommute currently offered, with transition to Los Angeles and Orange County in-person services
· Conduct and review client intakes for immigration relief for students, staff, faculty, family members, and community members at colleges, universities, and as-needed at CARECEN and other sites.
· Prepare a variety of immigration cases including representing applicants before USCIS and EOIR Immigration Court. Position requires a caseload of both affirmative and removal cases.
· Assign and review casework to legal support staff including legal assistants and administrative assistants.
· Conduct presentations, workshops and other community education activities, including at colleges, universities, CARECEN, and offsite locations.
· Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
· Law degree and active bar of California
· Bilingual (English/Spanish)
· 2 years of substantive experience in immigration law preferred
· Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment
· Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently
· Must be willing to conduct community education and workshops
· The position will involve some evening and weekend work
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday, with flexibility required based on the needs of the organization. The normal workweek for this full-time exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others (including colleges and universities), libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to different colleges and universities, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Application Deadline: Position open immediately.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Julie Mitchell firstname.lastname@example.org and Sabrina Rivera, email@example.com. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.