Job Title: Staff Attorney
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: Depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Citizenship & Family-Based Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorney & Managing Attorney
Location: Telecommute currently offered, with transition to Los Angeles office.
Job Summary: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks a bilingual Staff Attorney for its Citizenship and Family-Based. This is a full-time position based out of CARECEN’s Los Angeles Office.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Conduct and review client intakes for immigration relief for community members at CARECEN and other sites, as needed.
- Represent clients before USCIS in primarily affirmative immigration cases including green card and work permit renewals, naturalization, family petitions, NACARA, TPS, DACA, adjustments, removal of conditions, and humanitarian remedies including VAWA, U Visa and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS).
- Work under the supervision of a managing and supervising attorney, handling all aspects of client’s cases.
- Responsible for complying with data and program reporting requirements and supervising legal assistants and their assignments.
- Conduct presentations, workshops and other community education activities, including at other offsite locations, which may require weekend work.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervising Attorney and or Managing attorney.
- Juris Doctor and active bar membership in California required
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) required
- Strong case management, legal research, writing, and oral communication skills
- 2 years of substantive experience in immigration law preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN
- Ability to manage time-intensive caseload with numerous deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Competence in and dedication to working with others of diverse cultural, geographic, and economic backgrounds, including children with a history of severe trauma
- Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently
- The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
Classification & Work Schedule
The position is a full-time exempt position. Office hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday – Friday during which time staff is required to be available for clients, with flexibility required based on the needs of the organization. The normal workweek for this full-time exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. The position may require working evening and weekends. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position. The position will require conducting community education and workshop around the Los Angeles County. This position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute currently offered, with transition to CARECEN offices. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Applicants encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Miriam Nunez at [email protected]. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.