Job Title: Staff Attorney
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: $68,000-$76,000, DOE
Department: Legal Department | Deportation Defense Unit
Reports to: Managing Attorney and/or Supervising Attorney
Location: Hybrid- Telecommute and CARECEN’s Los Angeles Office
Job Summary: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks a staff attorney to represent adults and refugee families in removal proceedings. This is a full-time position based out of CARECEN’s Los Angeles Office.
Job Requirements/Essential Functions
• Represent adults, refugee families, and children in removal proceedings, including representation before the Los Angeles, Van Nuys, and Santa Ana Immigration Courts, before USCIS, and before the Board of Immigration Appeals
• Represent children throughout Southern California in state court to obtain predicate orders related to Special Immigrant Juvenile Status.
• Work under the supervision of the managing/supervising attorney, handling all aspects of clients’ cases
• Assist in coordinating referrals for medical, mental health, and educational services for clients, as necessary
• Comply with data and program reporting requirements
• Supervise paralegals and their assignments
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor
• Juris Doctor degree with active bar membership (California preferred or willingness to “waive into” the California Bar via the Multi-Jurisdictional Practice Program)
• Fluency or high proficiency in Spanish preferred but not required
• Experience in immigration law
• Strong case management, legal research, writing skills, and oral communication skills
• Ability to manage time-intensive caseload with numerous deadlines
• Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently
• Competence in and dedication to working with others of diverse cultural, geographic, and economic backgrounds, including clients with a history of severe trauma and criminal records
• Commitment to immigrants’ rights and the mission of CARECEN
• Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment
Classification and Work Schedule
The position is a full-time exempt position. Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday, with flexibility required based on the needs of the organization. The normal workweek for this full-time exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. The position will involve some evening and weekend work. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, remote workplace, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is required.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and 403(b) retirement savings plans are available. Paid time off is also provided.
Candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email cover letter, resume, three references, and brief writing sample (maximum 10 pages) to Lilit Melkonyan at [email protected]. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Principals only; no search firms or legal recruiters (no exceptions). No inquiries.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook