The OLAP Representative will regularly provide legal consultation and representation legal services at Community Colleges, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations in the greater Los Angeles Area. The schools the OLAP accredited representative will provide services are Mt. San Antonio College, Glendale Community College, Pasadena City College, Los Angeles City College, Los Angeles Trade Tech College, Santa Monica College, East Los Angeles College, and Rio Hondo College. The OLAP Accredited Representative will not perform those legal services reserved under state law to members in good standing of the California State Bar. Must be an OLAP accredited representative (or meet the criteria to submit an approvable application for OLAP accreditation at the time of hiring) and be determined by the Managing Attorney and Legal Director, in their discretion, to have the requisite immigration knowledge and experience to regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of the duties described below.
Job Title: OLAP Accredited Representative
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $19.00 - $23.00 hourly, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Community College Project
Reports to: Managing Attorney
- Provide immigration legal consultation, including initial intake and follow-up consultation, as well as application preparation at Community Colleges, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations throughout the Los Angeles area as needed;
- Intake, analyze and prepare applications with minimal supervision both onsite and offsite;
- Represent applicants in cases before USCIS;
- Conduct presentations, participate in legal workshops (including some Saturdays) and other community education activities;
- Assist with documenting and reporting on off-site legal service outcomes;
- Represent CARECEN in meetings with stakeholders
- Other duties as assigned by Managing Attorney or supervisor, which may include support with naturalization, DACA and immigrant visas, among other matters at the main Los Angeles office and off-site locations, as well as assisting Staff Attorneys and Managing Attorney with case preparation.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills required.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently on a large volume of casework.
- Extensive knowledge of immigration law, including spotting inadmissibility issues and other red flags in general case intake.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Fluency in Spanish and English is required.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of individuals, including representatives of government, Spanish and English media, grass-roots organizations, foundations, and corporations.
- Must possess knowledge and understanding of the political and historical context of immigrant communities and civil rights issues in this country.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN.
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is a 35-hour workweek equaling 7-hour workdays. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others (including community colleges), libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Travel requirement: Ability to travel to different Community Colleges, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
To Apply: Please email cover letter, resume and three references to Julie Mitchell jmitchell at carecen-la.org. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish fluency in the cover letter. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Principals only; no search firms or legal recruiters (no exceptions). No inquiries.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $19.00 to $23.00 /hour