Job Title: OLAP Accredited Representative
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt;
Salary: $26 to $35 an hour, Depending on Experience
Department: Legal Department | Citizenship & Family Based Immigration Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorney and/or Managing Attorney
Location: Hybrid - Telecommute and CARECEN’s Los Angeles office
Job Summary: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks a bilingual Spanish-speaking OLAP Accredited Representative for its Citizenship & Family Based Immigration Unit. The OLAP Accredited Representative will work out of the Los Angeles office and will work under the supervision of the Supervising Attorney and Managing Attorney from the Citizenship & Family Based Immigration Unit. Must be an OLAP accredited representative (or meet the criteria to submit an approvable application for OLAP accreditation at the time of hiring) and be determined by the Supervising Attorney, Managing Attorney and Legal Director, in their discretion, to have the requisite immigration knowledge and experience to regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of the duties described below. The OLAP Accredited Representative will regularly provide legal consultation and representation services primarily in affirmative immigration cases including naturalization, family petitions, adjustments, advance parole, TPS, DACA, removal of conditions, green card renewals as well as other forms of relief. The OLAP Accredited Representative will not perform those legal services reserved under state law to members in good standing of the California State Bar.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
* Intake, analyze, and prepare various immigration applications with minimal supervision including naturalization and citizenship derivation/acquisition cases, family petitions, TPS, DACA, adjustment of status, removal of conditions, green card renewals, consular processing, employment authorization applications, among other forms of relief, including representing applicants before USCIS
* Perform peer reviewing of client intakes and filings for immigration relief
* Assist with leading workshops on a rotating basis on an as-needed basis, requiring limited periodic Saturday work
* Conduct trainings to facilitate legal services and workshops
* Conduct presentations, tabling, outreach, and community education activities, if needed
* Represent CARECEN in meetings with stakeholders, including government officials, on as- needed basis
* Assist with data entry and reporting
* Provide support to citizenship classes and students, on as-needed basis
* Other duties as assigned by Supervising Attorney and/or Managing Attorney
* Must be partially or fully OLAP Accredited Representative or meet the criteria to submit an approvable application for OLAP accreditation at the time of hiring
* 1-2 years of practical experience in immigration (Required)
* Bilingual fluency in spoken and written English & Spanish (Required)
* Excellent legal skills and broad knowledge of immigration law (Required)
* Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN (Required)
* Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills (Required)
* Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment (Required)
* Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently on large volume caseload (Required)
Classification & Work Schedule
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday, in which staff are required to be available for clients and staff. Additional flexibility may be required based on need. This is a full-time position. The normal work week for this position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. Responsibilities may require occasional flexible schedules to off- set weekend work.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. A hybrid schedule may be offered. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s office, and workspaces provided by partners. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices and offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 25% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available when applicable. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN offers a generous health insurance package that has medical, vision, dental, life insurance and Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
August 18 or until position is filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Miriam Nunez ([email protected]). Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish fluency in the cover letter. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must submit a complete application directly via email. CARECEN will not consider applications through third party/legal/staffing agencies.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.