Job Title: OLAP Accredited Representative
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Salary: $21.00 per hour - Partially Accredited |$24.00 per hour - Fully Accredited
Department: Legal Department | Deportation Defense Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorney(s)
Location: Telecommute currently offered with transition to in-person services at CARECEN San Bernardino office.
Job Summary: The OLAP Accredited Representative will work out of the San Bernardino office and will work under the supervision of the Deportation Defense’s Supervising Attorneys. The OLAP Accredited Representative will also be required to work at off-Site locations and provide legal services. Must be an OLAP accredited representative (or meet the criteria to submit an approvable application for OLAP accreditation at the time of hiring) and be determined by the Supervising Attorneys and Legal Director, in their discretion, to have the requisite immigration knowledge and experience to regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of the duties described below. Such representative will regularly provide legal consultation and representation services on various immigration matters, including Asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), U-Visa/VAWA, Family based, DACA and other relief, as well as other duties assigned. The OLAP Accredited Representative will not perform those legal services reserved under state law to members in good standing of the California State Bar.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Provide immigration legal consultation to asylum seekers and unaccompanied children, including initial intake and follow-up consultation, as well as application and interview preparation
- Intake, analyze and prepare various immigration applications with minimal supervision;
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills required
- Represent clients before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Office, including at the Los Angeles Asylum office located in Tustin, CA
- Represent clients before the Executive Office for Immigration Review (if fully accredited)
- Represent CARECEN in meetings with stakeholders, including government officials
- Other duties as assigned by Supervising Attorneys, which may include assisting Staff Attorneys and Supervising Attorneys with case preparation
- Must be partially or fully OLAP Accredited Representative or meet the criteria to submit an approvable application for OLAP accreditation at the time of hiring
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently on a large volume of casework
- Extensive knowledge of immigration law
- 1-2 years of practical experience in immigration required
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English required
- Ability to work with diverse groups of individuals, including representatives of government, Spanish and English media, grass-roots organizations, foundations, and other stakeholders
- Must possess knowledge and understanding of the political and historical context of immigrant communities and civil rights issues in this country
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills preferred
- The position may involve some evening and weekend work
- Travel required; reliable transportation needed
Classification & Work Schedule
The position is a full-time non-exempt (hourly) position. The normal workweek for this full-time non-exempt (hourly) position is 35 hours. The office hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm; Monday to Friday. The workdays are 7 hours long.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute is currently offered, with transition to in person work at the CARECEN San Bernardino office. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by other nonprofits, libraries, and government facilities, among others. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices and offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 25% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. The ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is necessary.
CARECEN offers a generous health insurance package that has medical, vision, dental, life insurance and Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
Candidates encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email a cover letter, resume and three references to Ruth Calvillo ([email protected]). Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish fluency in the cover letter. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal/staffing agencies.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.