Job Title: Managing Attorney
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Exempt
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Department: Legal Department | DACA/General Immigration Relief Services
Reports to: Legal Director
Location: Telecommute currently offered, with transition to Los Angeles office.
Managing Attorney for DACA & General Immigration Relief Services
The Managing Attorney is responsible for supervising legal staff and ensuring provision of high-quality legal services for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) beneficiaries, as well as community education & outreach activities related to DACA. The Managing Attorney oversees intake for individuals seeking DACA-related services and general immigration consultation, and the provision of legal services at various offsite locations. The Managing Attorney is responsible for representing the organization publicly, including support of CARECEN policy advocacy efforts. Telecommute currently offered, with transition to Los Angeles office.
CARECEN was founded in 1983 by Salvadoran refugees and other human rights activists who worked to secure legal status for the thousands of Central Americans fleeing civil war. Today, CARECEN serves immigrants from around the world. Our mission is to empower Central Americans and all immigrants by defending human and civil rights, working for social and economic justice and promoting cultural diversity.
The CARECEN Legal Department provides direct legal representation to thousands of clients each year seeking family-based immigration assistance, citizenship, asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, VAWA, T and U visas, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, Temporary Protected Status, and NACARA. CARECEN provides representation in affirmative applications, as well as representation in immigration court and on appeal. We provide legal services through our permanent offices in central Los Angeles, the San Fernando Valley, and the Inland Empire. We also provide offsite services on a weekly basis at over twenty locations throughout Southern California.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Supervise attorneys, Accredited Representatives, legal assistants, intake/reception and support staff;
- Monitor caseload of legal staff
- Plan and conduct legal case review and trainings
- Monitor professional development of staff, suggest and assign additional training when appropriate
- Conduct written and in-person performance evaluation for staff, including annual reviews and any necessary performance improvement planning and disciplinary action for team members
- Recruit, hire and evaluate team staff
- Monitor service deliverables on an ongoing basis; ensure that staff provide necessary data and documentation for reporting purposes; prepare and submit grant reports to various funders;
- Develop team/project budget. Identify team-specific costs, community needs and challenges. Anticipate external changes that may impact team/program work, including changes in law and expanding or contracting funding opportunities, among others;
- Using CARECEN legal policies & procedures as framework, develop uniform criteria for intake, case acceptance, and case termination and conflict of interest policies;
- Ensure that all team staff utilize case management software effectively & uniformly.
- Provide individual consultations, prepare cases, and represent applicants before DHS in various matters; represent a limited number of individuals in Immigration Court and on appeal;
- Conduct presentations, community education activities and respond to media requests on DACA and other immigration issues;
- Participate in policy advocacy on immigration issues relevant to CARECEN’s mission;
- Develop and maintain relationships with local CBOs, law schools, foundations, government and other organizations;
- Participate in grant writing, including planning of grant proposals, drafting and reviewing drafts by development staff, conducting primary grant writing duties when necessary;
- Facilitate meetings, including department-wide meetings when Legal Director is unavailable;
- Other duties as assigned by Legal Director.
- Law degree and active admission to the bar of any state (California preferred);
- Excellent legal skills and broad knowledge of immigration law, including 5 years of substantive experience;
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment;
- Ability to develop and implement innovative models of service delivery with limited resources and leverage other community resources
- Ability to effectively work, communicate, and build rapport with diverse groups of individuals, including representatives of government, foundations, English/Spanish media, and other grassroots organizations.
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently
- Must have a car and driver license, and must be willing to conduct community education and workshops around Los Angeles. The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- 1-2 years of experience in employee supervision and management is strongly preferred
- 1-2 years of experience in administration such as grant management, project management, collaboration with other nonprofits, fundraising, or handling human resources issues.
- Proven work ethic demonstrating reliability and dependability
- Strong time management skills (effectively manage multiple deadlines and adapt to change within a fast-paced environment)
The Managing Attorney directly supervises a team of attorneys, accredited representatives, legal assistants and support staff and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the agency's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute currently offered, with transition to CARECEN Los Angeles office.
Ability to travel for meetings and services at offsite locations in the Los Angeles area. Offsite work may comprise up to 25% of the Managing Attorney’s time.
Classification & Work Schedule
This is a full-time, exempt position. Office hours of operation are 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday – Friday, with flexibility required based on the needs of the organization. Office is located at CARECEN’s central Los Angeles headquarters. Work is also performed in a variety of offsite settings, including workspace at other nonprofit organizations, libraries and other facilities where CARECEN provides services. Telecommute currently offered, with transition to CARECEN Los Angeles office.
A comprehensive benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, life insurance and FSA and Dependent Care FSA, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, and AFLAC supplemental insurance.
Deadline to apply: Candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email cover letter, resume, at least three references, and brief writing sample (10 page maximum) to Marlon Fuentes, mfuentes @ carecen-la.org. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish fluency in the cover letter.
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.
Job Type: Full-time