Job Title: Legal Assistant
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $17.00 - $19.00 hourly, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Deportation Defense Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorney & Managing Attorney
Location: CARECEN San Bernardino Office
Job Summary: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks a bilingual legal assistant to support attorneys representing detained individuals, released individuals, and unaccompanied minors in their removal proceedings. The legal assistant position is a full-time position based in CARECEN’s San Bernardino Office.
- Assist clients in gathering supporting documents, preparing their declarations, and preparing for hearings/interviews.
- Assist clients in preparing motions and applications before the Executive Office of
- Immigration Review and other immigration-related forms.
- Assist clients in accessing services, including mental health and medical services.
- Assist Staff Attorneys with data reporting requirements and other administrative matters.
- Translate documents from Spanish-to-English (and vice versa).
- File documents with the Immigration Court and USCIS, including applications for adjustment of status for eligible unaccompanied minor clients.
- Assist other departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or managing attorney.
- Experience in immigration law (preferred)
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages required
- Excellent communication, interviewing, and writing skills required
- Self-confidence, ability to interact with government agencies and advocate on behalf of client’s interests required
- Sensitivity and desire to work with low-income, immigrant families required
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills strongly preferred
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of clients and volunteers
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN
- Demonstrated willingness to work under minimal supervision
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is a 35-hour workweek equaling 7-hour workdays. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to CARECEN offices, and other off-site locations as needed. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Candidates encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Camila Alvarez firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.