The legal assistant will support attorneys providing legal services to students, staff, and faculty at California State Universities, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations in the greater Los Angeles area.
Job Title: Legal Assistant
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $15.00 - $19.00 hourly, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | California State University Project
Reports to: Supervising Attorney & Managing Attorney
Location: CARECEN San Bernardino Office
Job Summary: The legal assistant will support attorneys providing legal services to students, staff, and faculty at California State Universities, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations in the greater Los Angeles area.
CARECEN was founded in 1983 by Salvadoran refugees and other human rights activists who worked to secure legal status for the thousands of Central Americans fleeing civil war. Today, CARECEN’s mission is to promote the human and civil rights of Central Americans and all immigrant communities through legal and educational services, and by advocating and organizing to transform immigration and education policies. CARECEN is committed to coordinating a community response to serve the needs of unaccompanied minors fleeing violence in Central America.
· Assist attorneys in completing applications for submission to USCIS.
· Assist clients in gathering supporting documents
· Provide reception services as needed.
· Perform general clerical duties for the legal department on an as needed basis.
· Assist clients in accessing university services.
· Translate documents from Spanish-to-English (and vice versa).
· Assist in data collection, reporting, and other administrative matters.
· Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
· Experience in immigration law (preferred)
· Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages required.
· Excellent communication, interviewing, and writing skills required.
· Sensitivity and desire to work with immigrant families.
· Attention to detail and effective time management skills strongly preferred.
· Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of clients and volunteers.
· Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN.
Classification & Work Schedule:
This full-time non-exempt position is 35 hour workweek; 7-hour workdays. Office hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday – Friday. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, universities, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to different California State Universities, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Candidates encouraged to apply immediately
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Julie Mitchell firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.