Job Description: Legal Assistant
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $17.00 - $19.00 hourly, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Deportation Defense Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorneys
Location: Telecommute currently offered with transition to CARECEN’s Los Angeles office.
This position is for a bilingual legal assistant to support attorneys in our Deportation Defense Unit, representing unaccompanied children and adults in removal proceedings. The legal assistant position is a full-time position located in our Los Angeles Office.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Conduct intake of potential and retained clients.
- Assist clients in gathering supporting documents, preparing their declarations, and preparing for hearings/interviews.
- Assist clients in preparing state court forms, motions before the Executive Office of Immigration Review, asylum applications, Special Immigrant Juvenile applications, Naturalization applications, Adjustment of Status applications, and other immigration-related forms.
- Assist clients in accessing services, including mental health and medical services.
- Assist Staff Attorneys with data reporting requirements and other administrative matters.
- Translate documents from Spanish-to-English (and vice versa).
- Provide simultaneous Spanish-English interpretation at interviews with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration services, including asylum interviews.
- File documents at immigration court, state court, and USCIS.
- Assist other departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Experience preparing state court forms, including family and probate court preferred.
- Experience in immigration law preferred.
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages required.
- Excellent communication, interviewing, and writing skills required.
- Self-confidence, ability to interact with government agencies and advocate on behalf of client's interests required.
- Sensitivity and desire to work with low-income, immigrant families.
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills strongly preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of clients and volunteers.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN.
- Demonstrated willingness to work under minimal supervision.
This full-time non-exempt position is 35 hours a week; 7-hour workdays. Hours of operation are 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday – Friday. Office located in CARECEN Los Angeles Office. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including telecommuting currently, CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, colleges, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Applicants encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Lilit Melkonyan at email@example.com. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.