Job Description: Legal Assistant
Classification & FLSA Status:Full time | Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $17.00 - $19.00 hourly, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Deportation Defense Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorneys
Location: Telecommute currently offered with transition to CARECEN’s Los Angeles office.
This position is for a bilingual legal assistant to support attorneys in our Deportation Defense Unit, representing unaccompanied children and adults in removal proceedings. The legal assistant position is a full-time position located in our Los Angeles Office.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Conduct intake of potential and retained clients.
- Assist clients in gathering supporting documents, preparing their declarations, and preparing for hearings/interviews.
- Assist clients in preparing state court forms, motions before the Executive Office of Immigration Review, asylum applications, Special Immigrant Juvenile applications, Naturalization applications, Adjustment of Status applications, and other immigration-related forms.
- Assist clients in accessing services, including mental health and medical services.
- Assist Staff Attorneys with data reporting requirements and other administrative matters.
- Translate documents from Spanish-to-English (and vice versa).
- Provide simultaneous Spanish-English interpretation at interviews with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration services, including asylum interviews.
- File documents at immigration court, state court, and USCIS.
- Assist other departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Experience preparing state court forms, including family and probate court preferred.
- Experience in immigration law preferred.
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages required.
- Excellent communication, interviewing, and writing skills required.
- Self-confidence, ability to interact with government agencies and advocate on behalf of client's interests required.
- Sensitivity and desire to work with low-income, immigrant families.
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills strongly preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of clients and volunteers.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN.
- Demonstrated willingness to work under minimal supervision.
Classification & Work Schedule
The position is a full-time non-exempt (hourly) position. The normal workweek for this full-time non-exempt (hourly) position is 35 hours. The office hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm; Monday to Friday. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute is currently offered, with transition to in person work at the CARECEN Los Angeles office. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by other nonprofits, libraries, and government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to CARECEN offices, and other off-site locations as needed. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN offers a generous health insurance package that has medical, vision, dental, life insurance and Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
Applicants encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Lilit Melkonyan at [email protected]. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.