Job Description: Legal Assistant
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $17.00 - $19.00 hourly, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | DACA Team
Reports to: Supervising Attorneys & Managing OLAP Accredited Representative
Location: Telecommute currently offered with transition to CARECEN’s Los Angeles office.
Job Summary: The legal assistant will support attorneys, DOJ accredited representatives and other staff in providing legal services at CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations in the Greater Los Angeles area.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Provide support to attorneys and other staff on the DACA team.
- Assist with administrative duties, including scheduling appointments, answering phones, sorting mail, preparing and sending correspondence, maintaining records and databases.
- Conduct intake screening for prospective clients seeking legal consultation, preparing immigration forms, and translating documents in Spanish and English and vice versa, and advocating for clients with government agencies.
- Assist clients in gathering supporting documents.
- Provide backup support at legal reception area during busy times and filling in for the legal receptionist when needed.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisors.
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages required.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication, interviewing, and writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, as well as the ability to work effectively in a team.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Competence in and dedication to working with others of diverse cultural, geographic, and economic backgrounds including individuals with a history of severe trauma.
- Commitment to immigrants’ rights and the mission of CARECEN.
Classification & Work Schedule
The position is a full time non-exempt (hourly) position. Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this full-time non-exempt position is 35-hour workweek. The workdays are 7-hours long. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute is currently offered, with transition to in person work at the CARECEN Los Angeles Office. Work may also be performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others (including nonprofit agencies), colleges, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 25% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN offers a generous health insurance package that has medical, vision, dental, life insurance and Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
Applicants encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Evelyn Martinez at [email protected]. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.