Job Title: Legal Assistant
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $17.00 - $19.00 hourly, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | California State University Project
Reports to: Supervising Attorneys & Managing Attorney
Location: Telecommute currently offered, with transition to CARECEN’s San Bernardino office and Cal State University, San Bernardino, Cal Poly-Pomona.
Job Summary: Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks a bilingual legal assistant to support attorneys providing legal services to students, staff, and faculty at California State Universities, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations in the greater Los Angeles area. The legal assistant position is a full-time position based in CARECEN’s San Bernardino Office.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Assist Staff Attorneys and clients in completing applications for submission to USCIS, EOIR and other government agencies.
- Assist clients in gathering supporting documents, preparing their declarations, and preparing for hearings/interviews.
- Perform general clerical duties for the legal department on an as needed basis.
- Assist clients in accessing campus resources and services.
- Assist Staff Attorneys in educational and outreach programs on college campuses
- Translate documents from Spanish-to-English (and vice versa).
- Assist in data collection, reporting, and other administrative matters.
- Assist other departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or managing attorney.
- Experience in immigration law (preferred)
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages is required.
- Excellent communication, interviewing, and writing skills is required.
- Self-confidence, ability to interact with government agencies and advocate on behalf of client’s interests is required.
- Sensitivity and desire to work with immigrant families.
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills is required.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of clients and volunteers.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN.
- Demonstrated willingness to work under minimal supervision.
Classification & Work Schedule
The position is a full-time non-exempt (hourly) position. Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is a 35-hour workweek. The workdays are 7-hour long. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute is currently offered, with transition to in person work at the CARECEN San Bernardino office. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including California State Universities, CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to different California State Universities, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is required.
CARECEN offers a generous health insurance package that has medical, vision, dental, life insurance and Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided along with 11 paid holidays.
Candidates encouraged to apply immediately
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Julie Mitchell: [email protected]; Mercedes Serrano: [email protected]; and Erica Ascencio: [email protected]. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.