Job Description: Legal Assistant
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $17.00 - $19.00 hourly, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Community College Project
Reports to: Supervising Attorney & Managing Attorney
Location: Telecommute currently offered with transition to CARECEN’s Los Angeles office
Job Summary: The legal assistant will support attorneys and DOJ accredited representatives providing legal services at Community Colleges, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations in the greater Los Angeles area. Community colleges currently served by CARECEN are Mt. San Antonio College, Glendale Community College, Pasadena City College, Los Angeles City College, Los Angeles Trade Tech College, Santa Monica College, East Los Angeles College, and Rio Hondo College.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Assist attorneys and DOJ accredited representatives in conducting intake at community colleges and other locations as needed.
- Assist attorneys in completing applications for submission to USCIS, state courts, and other applications as needed.
- Assist clients in gathering supporting documents.
- Provide reception services as needed.
- Perform general clerical duties for the legal department on an as needed basis.
- Assist clients in accessing legal services at community colleges.
- Translate documents and interpret at USCIS interviews (English-to-Spanish and vice versa).
- Assist in data collection, reporting, and other administrative matters.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Experience in immigration law (preferred)
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages required.
- Excellent communication, interviewing, and writing skills required.
- Sensitivity and desire to work with immigrant families.
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills strongly preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of clients and volunteers.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN.
Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is a 35-hour workweek equaling 7-hour workdays. The position is currently a telecommute position, with a future transition to a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others (including community colleges), libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Travel requirement: Ability to travel to different Community Colleges, CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 50% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Applicants encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Julie Mitchell firstname.lastname@example.org and Andrew Knapp email@example.com. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.