Job Title: Digital & Communications Manager
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Salary: Depending on experience
Department: Organizing, Advocacy and Policy Department
Reports to: Organizing, Advocacy and Policy Director
Location: Telecommute currently offered with transition to CARECEN’s Los Angeles Office
The CARECEN Digital Communications Manager will manage all press and media outreach and drive digital organizing strategies to further the organization's vision and mission. This is a full-time position based out of CARECEN’s Los Angeles Office.
The Central American Resource Center Los Angeles (CARECEN LA) is the largest Central American immigrant rights organization in the U.S. CARECEN, its members and clients are at the forefront of immigrant and refugee rights at the local, national and transnational levels. CARECEN is in search of a hard-working, creative and strategic communications and digital organizing professional. This position will work on a number of campaigns such as the National TPS Alliance, anti-wage theft and education equity advocacy.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Continue the development of CARECEN communications strategy and brand presence in line with CARECEN’s mission
- Manage and implement CARECEN communications strategy
- Curate and create CARECEN digital content for various platforms, including CARECEN’s website, blog, e-newsletter and social media (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc.)
- Manage CARECEN social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn) and email marketing platform, including developing engagement strategies and content plans to achieve campaign and organizational goals
- Coordinate, update and maintain CARECEN’s website in both English and Spanish
- Track and analyze all digital channels, including Google Analytics, Twitter analytics, Facebook analytics, email/e-newsletter click/open rates, and adjust strategy accordingly
- Manage all CARECEN public relations, including media and community relations (i.e. rapid response, press releases, media training, etc.), and serve as the in-house media liaison
- Work with the Organizing and Legal teams to develop communications strategies that advance program and campaign goals
- Work with Organizing and Legal teams to produce high-quality media events ( e.g. presentations, webinars, press conferences, briefings) via Zoom and/or other online platforms
- Track political landscape and development in line with CARECEN’s efforts, identifying potential opportunities for CARECEN’s communications reach
- Lead the creation of messaging and materials to disseminate to a variety of audiences including organizational statements, press materials, op-eds and more
- Maintain and build strong relationships with organizational allies around digital campaigns and other communications strategy
- Coach and support CARECEN spokespersons (staff and community members) for interview and press engagements
- Coordinate with external consultants or vendors as needed (e.g videographers, graphic designers)
- Train additional digital or communications team members as needed
- Support the Organizing, Advocacy and Policy Department in other efforts as needed
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism or a related field preferred
- At least 2 years of experience in public relations and/or communications
- Experience in communications planning for social justice campaigns
- Bilingual and fluent (speaking and writing) in English and Spanish
- Experience working with social media, and media relations
- Strong copy writing skills and experienced in curating, developing and managing online content via websites, social media
- Experience developing and implementing a communications strategy
- Strong understanding of the current political landscape local, regional, national, and transnational
Classification & Work Schedule
The position is a full-time hourly position. Office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this full-time hourly position is 35-hour workweek. The workdays are 7-hours long. The position may require weekend work. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The position operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, bend, and stand as necessary. Telecommute is currently offered, with transition to in person work at the CARECEN Los Angeles office. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to CARECEN offices, and other off-site locations. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Candidates encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Marlon Fuentes at [email protected]. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.