Job Description: Data Entry Specialist
Classification & FLSA Status: Part Time | Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $16-$18 hourly, depending on experience
Department: Organizing, Policy and Advocacy
Reports to: Day Labor Center Coordinator
Location: CARECEN Day Labor Center with some telecommute work
CARECEN is in search of a community-oriented and highly organized professional. CARECEN’s Day Laborer Center is run in partnership with the City of Los Angeles. The Day Labor Center provides employers access to day laborers, worker referrals to social services, and worker skill-building programs. The site is located in the shopping center on Wilshire Blvd. and Union Ave. by the Wilshire Home Depot. The data entry specialist reports directly to the Coordinator of the Day Laborer program.
Summary of Duties:
· Capture data and maintain CARECEN’s Day Labor program internal databases including on the web-based Integrated Services Information System (ISIS)
· Maintain program files and assess filing systems for audit purposes
· Assist the program team in ensuring that responsibilities for the day laborer contract with the City of Los Angeles are fulfilled
· Support liaison efforts between day laborers and neighboring community as a means of fostering a shared sense of community
· Assists, in collaboration with the coordinator, on conflict resolution efforts around challenges that may arise between day laborers and surrounding stakeholders
· Support, in collaboration with the coordinator, with organizing and scheduling community outreach and education efforts (i.e., Know-Your-Rights, ESL instruction, health clinics, conflict resolution, domestic violence prevention, stress management, financial literacy and money management, etc.)
· Support in connecting community members to available resources (i.e., emergency assistance areas such as medical care, food, housing information, immigration legal services, and work skills trainings)
· Serve as a liaison between day laborers and partners ( i.e., law students, attorneys, volunteers, organizations) providing legal services in wage claims
· Work with CARECEN’s organizing and legal teams as needed to create opportunities to support the areas that impact our members
· Other center and departmental duties as assigned by supervisor
· Two years of college coursework with previous work-related experience serving immigrants required –OR—equivalent, successful work experience in a similar capacity required.
· Substantive knowledge and understanding of the political and historical context of immigrant community of the Pico-Union/Westlake areas and related civil rights and labor issues preferred.
· Excellent interpersonal and verbal skills required; ability to effectively interact with members of the local business community required; ability to use tact and diplomacy in communication. Verbal fluency in the English and Spanish languages required.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with limited supervision, with diverse groups including immigrants, local police department, coalitions, public officials, and the media.
· Must possess valid driver’s license and have access to an insured, registered vehicle and be able to work alternating Saturdays, as needed.
· Commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN.
· Experience working with current computer systems and technology in an office setting
· Flexibility to work between the times of 6:30am to 2:30pm with some availability on some evenings and weekends
Day Labor Center hours of operation are from 6:30 am - 2:30 pm from Monday to Saturday. This position may require availability on some evenings and weekends. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This position primarily operates in CARECEN's Day Labor Center located at the parking lot of the Home Depot located at 1675 S Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90017 at the Shatto Pl. / S. Union Ave. parking entrance. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by other nonprofits, libraries and government facilities, among others. The position is part of the bargaining unit represented by the union.
Ability to travel to CARECEN offices, and other off-site locations. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
Part time employees are not benefit eligible except as otherwise provided in the collective bargaining agreement.
Candidates encouraged applying immediately.
To Apply Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Alexandra Morales at [email protected] Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.