Job Title: Day Labor Organizer
Classification & FLSA Status: Full time | Non-Exempt
Salary: Depending on experience
Department: Organizing | Day Labor Center
Reports to: Day Labor Center Coordinator
Location: Day Labor Center and remote work is available
The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) is seeking to hire a Day Labor Organizer. The Organizer reports directly to the Site Coordinator and is part of a two (2) staff member team that assists the Site Coordinator in providing employer access to day laborers, worker referrals to social services, and worker skill-building programs at the Wilshire/Shatto Day Laborer Site located on the Wilshire Home Depot parking lot. This position is hourly.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Assists site coordinator in liaison work between day laborers and neighboring community as a means of fostering a shared sense of community. Assists with mitigating conflicts arising between day laborers and residents of Pico-Union/Westlake neighborhoods. Assists site coordinator in implementing long term solutions to loitering grievances. Assists in the work to sensitize day laborers in community member grievances as a means of finding long-term solutions.
- Open and close the center. (6:30 AM – 2:30 PM)
- In an effort to stem potential homelessness, regularly provide day laborers with referrals for emergency assistance in such areas as medical care, emergency food provisions, emergency housing, immigration legal services, and work skills training.
- Coordinate and maintain regular inventory of community marketing flyers. Disseminate approximately 2,000 marketing flyers per month.
- Along with site coordinator, ensures the daily provision of water, coffee, pan dulce, and other supplies to day laborers are available to workers.
- Assists when needed in updating the Integrated Services Information System (ISIS) and maintain an organized system to keep the hard copies systematized.
- Assist in ensuring that the responsibilities of the contract between the day laborer center and the city of Los Angeles are fulfilled.
- Provides site coordinator with back-up support in the organizing and scheduling of on-site training, in areas such as Know-Your-Rights, ESL instruction, health clinics, conflict resolution, domestic violence prevention, stress management, financial literacy and money management, etc.
- Serves as a liaison between day laborers and law students/attorneys providing legal services in wage claims.
- Serves as back-up relief to site coordinator as needed.
- Work with CARECEN’s organizing and legal teams to create better opportunities and address topics that impact our members.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Two years of community college coursework with previous work-related experience serving immigrants required –OR—equivalent, successful work experience in a similar capacity required.
- Substantive knowledge and understanding of the political and historical context of Latino immigrant community of the Pico-Union/Westlake areas and related civil rights and labor issues preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with limited supervision, with diverse groups including immigrants, the local police department, coalitions, public officials, and the media.
- Savvy and energetic with ability to outreach, connect with, and engage day laborers in activities of the day laborer site.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal skills required; ability to effectively interact with members of the local business community required; ability to use tact and diplomacy in communication.
- English and Spanish languages required.
- Must possess valid driver’s license and have access to an insured, registered vehicle.
- Able to work afternoons and/or weekends, flexibility with work schedule.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN.
Classification & Work Schedule
The position is a full-time non-exempt position. Office hours are 6:30am to 2:30pm, Monday – Friday and occasionally work on Saturday’s. The normal workweek for this full-time non-exempt position is 35 hours. The position may require working evening and weekends.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a Day Labor Center environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Telecommute currently offered, but working at the Day Labor Center is required. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to different CARECEN offices, and other offsite locations. Work may comprise up to 25% of travel time. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
CARECEN also offers a generous benefits package that has medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. Supplemental insurance and a 403(b) retirement savings plan are also available. Paid time off is also provided.
Applicants encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Jorge Nicolas at JNicolas@carecen-la.org. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.