Staff Attorney, California State University Project
CARECEN’s San Fernando, CA Office
The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) is seeking to hire full-time immigration attorney to provide legal services at California State Universities in Southern California. Office Location: Van Nuys, CA.
CARECEN was founded in 1983 by Salvadoran refugees and other human rights activists who worked to secure legal status for the thousands of Central Americans fleeing civil war. Today, CARECEN’s mission is to promote the human and civil rights of Central Americans and other immigrant communities through legal and educational services, and by advocating and organizing to transform immigration and education policies.
The legal department provides direct legal representation to thousands of clients each year seeking family-based immigration assistance, citizenship, asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, VAWA, T and U visas, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, Temporary Protected Status, NACARA, as well as representation in immigration court. CARECEN seeks staff attorneys to provide legal services at California State Universities in the greater Los Angeles area.
Summary of Duties:
- Conduct and review client intakes for immigration relief for students, staff, and faculty at California State Universities and as-needed at CARECEN and other sites.
- Prepare a variety of immigration cases including representing applicants before USCIS and EOIR Immigration Court.
- Assign and review casework to legal support staff including legal assistants and administrative assistants.
- Conduct presentations, workshops and other community education activities, including at California State Universities and other offsite locations, which may require periodic Saturday work.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Hours of work: The normal workweek for this full-time exempt position is 35 hours, but a greater emphasis is placed on meeting the responsibilities assigned to the position. Exempt employees do not receive overtime compensation, compensatory time off, or additional compensation beyond the salary assigned to the position.
Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, work space provided by others (including California State Universities), colleges, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
- Law degree and active bar admission (California preferred)
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- 2 years of substantive experience in immigration law preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently
- Must be willing to conduct community education and workshops around San Bernardino and/or Los Angeles County. The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary D.O.E., competitive benefits package.
Deadline to apply: Candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email cover letter, resume, at least two references, and brief writing sample (10 page maximum) to: Julie Mitchell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.