Job Title: Citizenship Instructor
Classification & FLSA Status: Part-Time | Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $20.00 - $23.00 hourly, depending on experience
Department: Legal Department | Citizenship and Family-Based Unit
Reports to: Supervising Attorney & Managing Attorney
The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks a bilingual (Spanish & English) citizenship instructor. The citizenship instructor is responsible for teaching citizenship education classes and for assisting attorneys and accredited representatives in providing legal services to students. The position will consist of administrative duties, classroom instruction, and developing curriculum. The position is housed within CARECEN’s Citizenship and Family-Based Immigration team in Los Angeles. Class instruction will primarily take place at the Los Angeles Public Library branches, such as Sun Valley branch, online, or at CARECEN Central – locations and schedule may vary.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
As citizenship instructor:
• Teach virtual citizenship education classes in English and Spanish in collaboration with the Los Angeles Public Library;
• Remain in regular communication with the citizenship education program coordinator regarding classroom instruction;
• Attend trainings and meetings regarding curriculum and class expectations;
• Assist with student data management, including the citizenship class inquiries, internal student database, and other systems;
• Assist in onboarding the student for virtual classes;
• Assist with occasional review and guidance of volunteers performing mock interviews/tutoring sessions for in-person;
• Administrative duties in support of our citizenship class services as assigned by supervisor or citizenship education program coordinator;
• Assist with student outreach, recruitment, and tracking of student attendance;
• Assist with student testing and grant reporting, on as needed basis;
• Provide administrative and technological assistance for citizenship instruction, as needed basis;
• Assist clients in mock citizenship exams and training of class volunteers, as needed;
• Work with CARECEN staff and local libraries in class registration and data management;
• Incorporate multimedia aids as supplied by CARECEN into classroom activities;
• Conduct mock citizenship exams and mock interviews with the aid of students and volunteers;
• Assist students with use of study aids, and technology, including computer programs and Internet-based aids;
• Foster student participation and engagement;
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor or by citizenship education program coordinator.
- Experience in ESL or civics exam instruction (preferred)
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages (required)
- Excellent communication, interviewing, and writing skills (required)
- Cultural or trauma-informed sensitivity and desire to work with immigrant families (required)
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills strongly preferred (required)
- Ability to work well under pressure (required)
- Ability to implement curriculum and lesson plans on a virtual platform (required)
- Work effectively with diverse groups of clients and volunteers (required)
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN (required)
CARECEN’s office hours are from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The work schedule for this position is a maximum 29-hour workweek. The position will require work on Saturdays; thus, an alternative schedule will be created and agreed upon. Flexible work from home schedules may be offered. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others, libraries, and other government facilities, among others.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. The position requires the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand as necessary. Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including a hybrid office and work from home model depending on COVID -19 office policy, CARECEN’s offices, workspace provided by others including community libraries and other government facilities, among others.
Ability to travel to CARECEN offices, Los Angeles Public Library Branches, and other off-site locations. Mileage reimbursement is available. Ability to drive with a valid CA license and a registered vehicle is preferred.
Part-time employees are not eligible for benefits except as otherwise provided in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Part-time employees will receive 11 paid federal holidays and accrued sick pay.
The application deadline is Friday, February 9, 2024, or until the position is filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply ASAP.
applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Only those applicants who submit a complete application per these instructions will be considered. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN wil not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws