- CARECEN is looking for interested law students for an internship for the 2016 summer and undergraduate volunteers.
- Internship requires 8-10 week commitment
- Volunteers should be fluent in Spanish, have good communication skills and strong writing skills.
- Volunteers should be comfortable working with domestic violence survivors and survivors of other violent crimes
The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN)’s mission is to empower immigrants by defending human and civil rights, working for social and economic justice and promoting cultural diversity. The CARECEN Legal Department promotes permanent resident status, family reunification, and active citizenship.
U Visa VAWA Department:
CARECEN's Legal Department serves a large number of immigrant victims/survivors of crime with free and low-cost immigration legal services including: Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) applications - a form of immigration relief for victims of physical or emotional violence by a U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident spouse, parent or child; and U Visa Applications - a form of immigration relief for victims of violent crimes, including domestic violence and sexual assault, who cooperate in the investigation or prosecution of a crime. VAWA and the U Visa are often the only possibility for legal status for the great majority of undocumented immigrants, as neither requires a legal entry in order to qualify. CARECEN has offered high-volume legal services to victims of domestic violence and other violent crime since 2007.
Summary of Duties:
- Assist attorneys in the preparation of VAWA and U Visa applications for immigration relief.
- Assist attorneys in the preparation of Adjustment of Status for U Visa/VAWA clients.
- Interview clients and assist in drafting legal declarations to accompany applications for immigration relief.
- Work with clients to gather documentation to be submitted to U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) and/or immigration court.
- Advocate for clients with various law enforcement agencies to obtain certification of client cooperation in criminal investigations.
- Assist with intake screenings for potential U Visa/VAWA clients
- Assist with follow up documentation and appointments with clients.
- Assist in translating legal documents from Spanish to English.
- The opportunity to attend adjustment of status interviews and/or immigration court proceedings.
If interested please contact Gloria Espitia @email@example.com or at 213-385-7800 ext. 143.