CARECEN seeks a Spanish-speaking immigration attorney to supervise legal services in its main Los Angeles office location as well as its off-site locations, as needed. The attorney will provide legal assistance to individuals who qualify for VAWA, U Visa and Adjustment of Status.
CARECEN was founded in 1983 by Salvadoran refugees and other human rights activists who worked to secure legal status for the thousands of Central Americans fleeing civil war. Today, CARECEN’s mission is to promote the human and civil rights of Central Americans and other immigrant communities through legal and educational services, and by advocating and organizing to transform immigration and education policies.
The CARECEN Legal Department is currently staffed by eighteen attorneys and three BIA-accredited representatives, as well as several paralegals and support staff. The legal department provides direct legal representation to thousands of clients each year seeking family-based immigration assistance, citizenship, asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, VAWA, T and U visas, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, Temporary Protected Status, NACARA, as well as representation in immigration court.
Summary of Duties:
- Prepare VAWA, U Visa and Adjustment of Status cases while representing applicants before USCIS and EOIR Immigration Court;
- Assist with conducting and reviewing client intakes for U visa adjustment of status and other forms of immigration relief.
- Assign and review casework to legal support staff including legal assistants and paralegals;
- Assist with supervising volunteer law student clinic on a rotating basis with other attorneys on the team, requiring periodic Saturday work;
- Conduct presentations, workshops and other community education activities;
- Other duties as assigned by Managing Attorney, which may include support with naturalization, DACA and immigrant visas, among other matters at the main Los Angeles office and at off-site locations.
- Law degree and active bar admission (California preferred)
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish required
- 2 years of substantive experience in immigration law. Experience in VAWA/U visa, family-based immigration and asylum required
- Excellent legal skills and broad knowledge of immigration law
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to working in a diverse professional environment
- Ability to develop and implement innovative models of service delivery with limited resources and leverage other community resources
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse groups of individuals, including representatives of government, foundations, English/Spanish media, and other grassroots organizations
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently
- The attorney must have a car and driver license, and must be willing to conduct community education and workshops around Los Angeles County and Santa Ana if needed. The position will involve some evening and weekend work.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary D.O.E., competitive benefits package.
Deadline to apply: Candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email cover letter, resume, at least two references, and brief writing sample (10 page maximum) to: Gloria Espitia, firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish fluency in the cover letter.
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.