CARECEN seeks a Spanish-speaking Administrative Assistant within its Survivors of Violence Unit, which assists survivors of violence apply for legal immigration relief. The Administrative Assistant may assist in outreach and community education activities as needed
CARECEN was founded in 1983 by Salvadoran refugees and other human rights activists who worked to secure legal status for the thousands of Central Americans fleeing civil war. Today, CARECEN’s mission is to promote the human and civil rights of Central Americans and other immigrant communities through legal and educational services, and by advocating and organizing to transform immigration and education policies. CARECEN's Legal Department serves a large number of immigrant survivors of crime with free and low-cost immigration legal services within the Pico-Union/Westlake community.
- Mailing out completed immigration applications;
- Opening and sorting immigration notices;
- Informing clients of USCIS appointments and providing immigration notices to clients;
- Filing and maintaining client files;
- Answering phone calls and providing case updates;
- Scheduling clients for appointments at Mexican Consulate for funding purposes and assisting with funding reports;
- Translating documents from Spanish to English;
- Assisting clients to request U visa law enforcement certifications;
- Under the supervision of attorneys and BIA Accredited Representatives, assisting clients to prepare U Visa, VAWA, T Visa and Adjustment of Status applications; draft client declarations, and provide follow up on cases as needed;
- Assisting attorneys with immigration consular processing;
- Closing cases once approved;
- Assisting with reception coverage;
- Other duties as assigned by Managing Attorney
- Strong organizational skills required.
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages required.
- Excellent communication, customer service and writing skills required.
- Sensitivity and desire to work with low-income, immigrant survivors of crime including domestic violence and sexual assault required.
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills strongly preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of clients and volunteers.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN.
Salary and Benefits:
$15 hourly and a comprehensive benefits package.
Please email resume, cover letter, and 3 references to Gloria Espitia Martinez at email@example.com.
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No inquiries please, including inquiries from legal employment agencies. Applicants must apply directly. Applications submitted through agencies will not be considered.
The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. It is the policy of CARECEN to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination. CARECEN is committed to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment. CARECEN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, political ideology, age, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical handicap. We encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, member of the LGBT community and other minority groups.