The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks to hire a full-time, bilingual Legal Receptionist & Intake Screener (“Legal Receptionist”). This position serves as the public’s initial contact with CARECEN and as such, is pivotal to the formation of a positive first impression of the organization. The Legal Receptionist is responsible for pre-screening walk-in clients, reviewing intake forms for completeness, booking appointments, answering telephone inquiries and making referrals for services not provided by CARECEN. The Legal Receptionist will also perform ongoing data entry. The Legal Receptionist reports directly to Legal Department Managing Attorney.
CARECEN was founded in 1983 by Salvadoran refugees and other human rights activists who worked to secure legal status for the thousands of Central Americans fleeing civil war. Today, CARECEN’s mission is to promote the human and civil rights of Central Americans and other immigrant communities through legal and educational services, and by advocating and organizing to transform immigration and education policies. CARECEN’s Legal Department provides direct legal representation to thousands of clients each year seeking family-based immigration relief, naturalization, asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, VAWA, T and U visas, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, Temporary Protected Status, NACARA, and other immigration relief, both affirmatively and in immigration court. In addition to direct representation, CARECEN engages in advocacy at the local and national levels on the issues of immigration reform, combating notario/immigration consultant fraud, and advocating for the legal and non-legal needs of the Pico-Union community of Los Angeles.
- Greeting visitors and providing general information on CARECEN’s services; pre-screening potential clients by telephone and in person; assisting clients in completing intake forms; and scheduling appointments when appropriate. Providing referrals for other social and legal service agencies as indicated by client needs.
- Providing cashier services which includes receiving documents and client fees in accordance with organizational policy.
- Contributing to the safety of the premises by ensuring that only authorized visitors or clients are allowed access to premises by confirming visitor appointments with staff members.
- Conducting ongoing data entry; compiling and maintaining Legal Department statistics on an as needed basis.
- Performing general clerical duties for the Legal Department on an as-needed basis.
- Other duties as assigned by Managing Attorney.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and customer service skills with proven ability to interact in an appropriate manner with diverse groups of individuals, including clients, corporate and foundation representatives, government officials, and the media on a consistent basis.
- Ability to exercise tact, diplomacy, discretion, and appropriate measures of friendliness when greeting/directing clients, and providing information, referrals, or other assistance, required.
- Good working knowledge of local nonprofits and their respective service areas –OR- the ability to quickly learn & understand availability of nonprofit services, required.
- Flexibility/adaptability and the ability to work productively in a periodically stressful environment required; ability to receive and process large numbers of clients preferred.
- Ability to work independently (when needed) and with creativity in problem solving situations strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of history of Central American immigrant community, preferred.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish languages, required.
- Basic Windows-based computer skills in word processing and court forms software strongly preferred. Experience using multi-line telephone equipment preferred.
- Basic Windows-based computer skills required. Ability to type 30 WPM with high degree of accuracy.
- High school degree or equivalency required; some college highly desirable.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
$15.00 hourly and a competitive benefits package
Please email cover letter, resume, and three references to: Gloria Espitia (firstname.lastname@example.org). Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency and preferred area(s) of focus in the cover letter. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.