The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) seeks to hire a full-time, bilingual Director of Organizing, Policy & Advocacy. This position will be in charge of supervising and moving forward the implementation of CARECEN’s organizing work plan to have maximum impact within our community. The Director of Organize will report directly to the Executive Director, as well as work closely with the organizing team.
CARECEN Mission: The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN)’s mission is to empower immigrants by defending human and civil rights, working for social and economic justice and promoting cultural diversity.
Besides participating in various community-led campaigns to fight for worker and migrant rights, CARECEN also offers a variety of services and programs. CARECEN has two areas of work – 1) Immigration Legal Services and 2) Organizing, Policy and Advocacy.
The Immigration Legal Services Department provides services including work permits and family petitions, Naturalization, VAWA/U-Visa, legal representation for Unaccompanied Children, asylum, etc. The department reaches and serves approximately 20,000 a year. The Organizing, Policy and Advocacy Department conducts its programs within the Parent and Youth and Day Labor Centers. This area of work includes leadership training and development, support services and direct action in local, statewide and national campaigns. The team works on key issues affecting the community we serve such as immigrant and workers’ rights and education reform. The department works with approximately 1,000 families in this area of work.
Summary of Duties & Expectations
- Primary Responsibilities
- Works with Board of Directors and staff to develop and implement CARECEN’s organizing, policy and advocacy vision, priorities and work plan
- Supervises organizing team and provides day-to-day support
- Identifies training needs and implements professional development program
- Develop and implement membership program
- Provides strategic direction to organizing team
- Keep team updated on important decisions that will affect organizing efforts
- Can provide/lead capacity building for the team
- Acts as a representative and spokesperson for CARECEN
- Strengthen and maintain database and systems
- Support fundraising programs and activities
- Strong organizational skills
- 8-10 years organizing experience
- Fundraising background/experience
- Policy and campaign management experience
- Technologically savvy
- Knowledge of issues on local, state, national, and international level that affect the Central American and Latino immigrant communities
- Experience working in coalitions
- Travel availability
- Familiarity with managing databases and experience using social media as an organizing tool
- Excellent communication skills (internal and external)
- At least 5 years’ experience leading a team and setting high standards or work quality
- Significant experience working with coalitions or stakeholders
- Bilingual, English & Spanish
- Has excellent leadership skills and committed to immigrant communities and social justice
- Strategic thinker; can put theory into practice; results oriented
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with others, in a shared leadership role
- Effective group facilitation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, sound judgment, self-motivated and ability to motivate others
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to track multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience with public speaking a plus
- Ability to work some evenings and week-ends required
Applicants should be ready for a demanding but collegial atmosphere. Applicants should also be self-starters and have excellent time management skills. Professional proficiency or fluency in Spanish preferred.
Office Location: 2845 W 7th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90005
Compensation and Start Date: This position is full-time, and will offer a competitive salary based on experience. It begins as soon as possible. CARECEN is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
How to Apply: Please submit resume, cover letter, and three references to Martha Arevalo at email@example.com.