The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) is seeking to hire a Day Labor organizer.
CARECEN was founded in 1983 by Salvadoran refugees and other human rights activists who worked to secure legal status for the thousands of Central Americans fleeing civil war. Today, CARECEN’s mission is to promote the human and civil rights of Central Americans and other immigrant communities through legal and educational services, and by advocating and organizing to transform immigration and education policies.
The Organizer reports directly to the Site Coordinator and is part of a two (2) staff member team that assists the site coordinator in providing employer access to day laborers, worker referrals to social services, and worker skill-building programs at the Wilshire/Shatto Day Laborer Site located at the Wilshire Home Depot. This position is hourly and non-exempt.
Summary of Duties:
- Assists site coordinator in liaison work between day laborers and neighboring community as a means of fostering a shared sense of community. Assists with mitigating conflicts arising between day laborers and residents of Pico-Union/Westlake neighborhoods. Assists site coordinator in implementing long term solutions to loitering grievances. Assists in the work to sensitize day laborers in community member grievances as a means of finding long-term solutions.
- Open and close the center. (6:30 AM – 2:30 PM)
- In conjunction with Site Coordinator create and implement a curriculum for leadership development in topics relevant for the day labor community such as gender equality and anti-machismo, labor rights, community organizing, among others.
- In an effort to stem potential homelessness, regularly provide day laborers with referrals for emergency assistance in such areas as medical care, emergency food provisions, emergency housing, immigration legal services, and work skills training.
- Coordinate and maintain regular inventory of community marketing flyers. Disseminate approximately 2,000 marketing flyers per month. Along with site coordinator, ensures the daily provision of water, coffee, pan dulce, and other supplies to day laborers are available to workers.
- Updates the Integrated Services Information System (ISIS) and maintain an organized system to keep the hard copies systematized.
- Assist in ensuring that the responsibilities of the contract between the day laborer center and the city of Los Angeles are fulfilled.
- Provides site coordinator with back-up support in the organizing and scheduling of on-site training, in areas such as Know-Your-Rights, ESL instruction, health clinics, conflict resolution, domestic violence prevention, stress management, financial literacy and money management, etc.
- Serves as a liaison between day laborers and law students/attorneys providing legal services in wage claims.
- Serves as back-up relief to site coordinator as needed.
- Work with CARECEN’s organizing and legal teams to create better opportunities and address topics that impact our members.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Two years of community college coursework with previous work-related experience serving immigrants required –OR—equivalent, successful work experience in a similar capacity required.
- Substantive knowledge and understanding of the political and historical context of Latino immigrant community of the Pico-Union/Westlake areas and related civil rights and labor issues preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with limited supervision, with diverse groups including immigrants, the local police department, coalitions, public officials, and the media.
- Savvy and energetic with ability to outreach, connect with, and engage day laborers in activities of the day laborer site. Excellent interpersonal and verbal skills required; ability to effectively interact with members of the local business community required; ability to use tact and diplomacy in communication.
- English and Spanish languages required.
- Must possess valid driver’s license and have access to an insured, registered vehicle.
- Able to work afternoons and/or weekends, flexibility with work schedule.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of CARECEN.
Salary and Benefits
This is a permanent full-time position paid at an hourly rate of 18 dollars. The position includes benefits.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. Candidates should describe previous work experience in their cover letter. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. No search firms or recruiters (no exceptions). No inquiries please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.