The Central American Resource Center (CARECEN) is seeking to hire full-time legal assistants to support attorneys providing legal services at California State Universities in Southern California. Positions are available at CARECEN’s San Bernardino and Los Angeles offices.
CARECEN was founded in 1983 by Salvadoran refugees and other human rights activists who worked to secure legal status for the thousands of Central Americans fleeing civil war. Today, CARECEN’s mission is to promote the human and civil rights of Central Americans and other immigrant communities through legal and educational services, and by advocating and organizing to transform immigration and education policies.
The legal department provides direct legal representation to thousands of clients each year seeking family-based immigration assistance, citizenship, asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, VAWA, T and U visas, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, Temporary Protected Status, NACARA, as well as representation in immigration court.
JOB DUTIES: Legal Assistant
- Assist attorneys and DOJ accredited representatives in conducting intake at California State Universities and other locations as needed.
- Assist attorneys in completing applications for submission to USCIS.
- Assist clients in gathering supporting documents
- Provide reception services as needed.
- Perform general clerical duties for the legal department on an as needed basis.
- Assist clients in accessing university services.
- Translate documents from Spanish-to-English (and vice versa).
- Assist in data collection, reporting, and other administrative matters.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Work is performed in a variety of work settings, including CARECEN’s offices, work space provided by others (including California State Universities), colleges, libraries and other government facilities, among others.
- Experience in immigration law (preferred)
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English languages required.
- Excellent communication, interviewing, and writing skills required.
- Sensitivity and desire to work with immigrant families.
- Attention to detail and effective time management skills strongly preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of clients and volunteers.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission and goals of CARECEN.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time position paid at an hourly rate of $15.00 – $19.00, depending on experience. The position includes a generous benefits package including, medical, dental, and vision.
Candidates encouraged to apply immediately.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to: Julie Mitchell (firstname.lastname@example.org). Candidates are urged to be specific regarding level of Spanish proficiency and preferred office (San Bernardino or Los Angeles).
Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Applicants must apply directly. CARECEN will not consider applications through legal recruiting/staffing agencies. No inquiries or phone calls from applicants or legal recruiters please.
CARECEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnic group identification, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, political affiliation, condition of physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation, in accordance with requirements of Federal and State laws.